Why, when we are all digital with subtitles...

do we have to be subjected to gurning gesticulating gargoyles in the corner of the screen, who cannot be eradicated by mere button push?

Its as bad as the 'NARative audio track, designed for people who presumably cant watch the telly they just tuned into...

Reply to
Tjoepstil

And what is your problem? You can turn off AD certainly, I always find it daft that people think blind people do not want to watch the telly. Of course we do but its an up hill struggle still to get Audio description, and more to the point talking menus for the TV. Don't get me started.

Now as far as I know signing and other devices for other disabilities can often be turned off, but occasionally you find a program that was recorded with it actually in vision, not an inserted extra. In those cases you need to have some tolerance or maybe you need to just stick a bit of tape over it. Blimey. Subtitles do not help as all people you know. Some people cannot read fast enough to keep up either. Many Deaf people don't think much of modern subtitles compared to the old teletext kind, which were bigger and easier to read.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 06:23:24 +0000, Tjoepstil coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

It's not a GGG, it's called a DOG, Digital On-screen Graphic, and it's there so you always know what channel you are watching, but have you noticed it does disappear when the adverts are on, the advertisers insist on that!

Reply to
Graham.

That gesticulating makes it almost impossible to watch the programme. I've a bit of trouble since my early teens with processing fast-moving random objects in complex situations. Funnily eneough, road conditions aren't a problem, but e.g. running through woodland with the other lads, I'd have to stop and reset. Same in a busy shopping centre, especially with mirrors on pillars, I can get disorientated. All the hand waggling strts to make me feel a bit nauseous - it should be optional, so as to consider those who can't tolerate it.

Reply to
PeterC

I believe a certain broadcaster screwed up recently and had only the AD audio track.

I suspect that the original poster is writing about Digital Onscreen Graphics which cannot be turned off. On some channels they can be quite subtle and just show the channel identity. On other channels they can be much more annoying being animated and/or include pop-up advertising for the next or future programs. Children's channels are often the worst offenders, after all we must educate them that unnecessary crap graphics all over the screen is acceptable and normal. Once accepted it will become normal to have on-screen banner advertisements during the programs rather than have advertising breaks.

The broadcasters will have to tell the actors to mumble slower :) Surely the sub-titles only reflect what is being said on screen? Missing out some dialogue is likely to cause confusion.

On boxes I've owned the display of sub-titles have had user readability options. Perhaps those complaining should consider their choice of box more carefully.

Reply to
alan_m

It is optional. It will be repeat of a normal program with inserted hand waving. If recording the program there will be a code in the EPG description to identify this type of repeat so that you can exclude it by using your program filters.

Reply to
alan_m

No, About gesticulatng gurning gargoyles which are signing for deaf people who are too stupid to use subtitles

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If that was the case I never saw it, it would be a rather obvious thing as long periods of nothing would result as its a separate overlayed track unless you use the bbc etc web site where two different streams are there one with both and one with none. I think subtitles being simple to do, can be overlayed or more to the point made visible. As for signing and facial effects, that is a bit more difficult as the bandwidth on ordinary terrestrial may dictate its there or its not as the bandwidth for Freeview is severely limited by the bar Stewards who sell the bandwidth to the broadcasters, so its actually cheaper to put it out with it hard coded than as an extra.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

He is but that is not the reason for signing. Many reasons exist for signing as not everyone can read fast enough. If you notice the way signed programs go out its normally on the repeat or a later transmission, not on the original. The reason you are not allowed to hide these is because of the stupid way bandwidth is managed by Freeview, trading it off across the multiplexed channels. it would in reality be very easy to generate a signed graphic or real person and use digital techniques to mix it in or insert it. However AD and subtitles use little more bandwidth than a normal transmission and can be accommodated, signing has either to be part of the transmission or not, If it was separate, more bandwidth would be needed, costing more dosh, and more to the point reducing somebody elses bandwidth.

As I always said about digital TV, the system is run for pack em in get the dosh in to the people who run it, rather than make it have redundant capacity to allow for such extras as optional signing.

If your attitude to disability shown here is the same as in the real world, how you have survived so long eludes me! :-) Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well I'm not sure about that always being the case. I thought you all might like to know that once all stations are equipped, AD is going to be used on adverts. Proctor and Gamble are pioneering this, and its about bloody time after all our money is as good as the sighted types money is.

As for Dogs, well that is a fact of life to stop people pirating the content. You also get audio versions on radio, particularly in special events like live concerts, where during a bit of a pause an announcer will state you are listening to xxx or whatever. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I would agree, I hope my previous posts tell you why its not.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Bear in mind he has plenty of disabilities of his own ... as evidenced here daily...

J^n

Reply to
jkn

My grumble is that you can't pipe the *text* for subtitles into a text-to- speech box and play that alongside the original soundtrack. Something that would help Brian, and SWMBO.

The most annoying thing is it's almost entirely "plumbing", if you can get the source material with a .SRT file. (And I notice there are quite a few sources for such).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

plus numbered seats. Which is invaluable when you want one with only one step and in the aisle. Although I suspect the driving motive in this feature was to then lead the online booker to the "stuff your face" options, where you can add a hot dog and vat of coke to your purchase.

However such nods to accessibility have only served to highlight the paucity of the offerings.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

We'd never know :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

That is essentially what Narrative tracks are. They are all over the satellite transmissions as opposed to freeview.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was thinking of foreign language films/TV. SWMBO doesn't have great vision and can't read subtitles. If there's a short bit with subtitles (e.g. "Narcos") we can manage with my reading them out. But a full-length programme or film is impractical. Which is a shame, as there is a lot of great stuff out there, if you're not fussed about language.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

One programme that I wanted was broadcast in the early morning as the only version without a news ticker; unfortunately it had the signing and I find that can almost memerise me if I'm making an effort to ignore it. There should be the option for people with such 'minor' 'disabilities'.

Reply to
PeterC

I haven't but I still can't watch programmes with the gesticulating GGs. It is simply too distracting.

And it is not true, or not generally true, that they go out on repeats in the small hours. Many's the time I've recorded a movie on Channel Four to watch the next evening, and find I can't watch it because of the signing.

Brian says "many people" can't read subtitles and need the signing. Exactly how many people are we catering for here, and how many are we excluding?

Reply to
Handsome Jack

No, it isn't.

Oh good. So I can solve the problem by not watching TV programmes that I would have liked to watch.

Reply to
Handsome Jack