OT; Full English

Foods containing refined sugar tend to produce a "sugar high" very quickly. Combine with fat and the effect is much more spread out over time. Ergo, chocolate is a good choice in this regard as is ice cream. Apple juice os a poor choice on this basis because it's mainly ready to go sugar.

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's exactly the point. If there is a need to control rate of absorption, this is a good way to do it, if one os going to eat these kinds of food at all.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's the same game.

- Low fat (means replaced with sugar)

- No added sugar (there's plenty of it from fruit juices)

- No artificial sweetener (plenty of the natural sugars)

Carbohydrate is "legitimate" at the moment so no need to talk about that

Reply to
Andy Hall

Why, would the thought of Golden Dreams B&B ("Our BC bed and breakfast inn provides warm lodging in Whistler, no matter the season."), Disney's California Adventure Park, or Golden Dreams Ostrich Farm, upset them?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

But stick to the plate that you 'wave them in, like a bitch ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

And if you have a limited allowed intake of sugars it's better from a gourmand pov to save it for foods which really need sugars (eg puddings) rather than waste it on hidden sugars which are unneccessary.

I really can't understand why supermarkets put sugar in eg spag bol.

Owain

(who has eaten 3 cream cakes today, naughty but nice)

Reply to
Owain

So it avoids the sugar rush for example? Makes sense. Interesting.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

OK - here's the works. Less fat. Less carbohydrate (both less sugars and less non-sugars). No fruit juices. Probably much reduced consumer appeal (when eaten) but, to be fair, superficially this does look to be nearer what I was asking for.

Heinz Branston Energy 281 370 Protein 2.8 4.8 Carbohydrate 11.2 16.1 Of which sugars 3.4 5.9 Fat 0.2 0.4 Of which saturates Trace 0.1 Fibre 3.8 5.5 Sodium 0.2 0.3 Salt equivalent 0.5 0.9

Beans 51% 52% Tomatoes 33% 36%

Branston

Beans Tomatoes Water Sugar Modified Maize Starch Salt Paprika Ground White Pepper Flavouring Spices

Heinz

Beans Tomatoes Water Sugar Modified Cornflour Salt Spirit Vinegar Spice Extracts Herb Extract

Unfortunately (for them) the previous generations of products have been so dire and chock full of things I don't want that I usually don't even look at the ingredients if it says "Healthy", "No added sugar", "Low fat", etc. Even yesterday, we couldn't find a pot of ordinary cottage cheese that wasn't either low fat, or had something like pineapple added or had fromage frais or cream added - and they had probably at least a dozen lines to choose from. If that happens on a basic product, which should have just two ingredients, ...

Reply to
Rod

We got our repeat prescriptions yesterday. I carefully read the printed papers which accompanied the medication.

There was no mention of grapefruit or in fact any other foods except alcohol. No reduction or enhancement of effect, no contra-indications of any kind. That could be why he's never had any effects after, before or during eating any citrus fruit.

I'd rather take notice of the manufacturer's recommendations - and our own experience - than any other source.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I think as a starting point you are right to use the PIL. And clearly experience is important.

For various reasons I have become a voracious reader of these leaflets over the past two or so years. I have been dismayed by the quality. Indded, not just me, but the Department of Health and other bodies. Hence the increased emphasis on quality control of PILs and the development of the Electronic Medicines Compendium.

- currently woefully incomplete

One of the things I have found is a frightening level of incompleteness and self-inconsistency in PILs.

Example from day before yesterday. Eltroxin. On the one hand says "Take pills whole - do not split" and on the other is talking about doses of

25mcg when the smallest pill is 50mcg. On the one hand the PIL is dated 2003 (IIRC), but the product has just been reformulated.

Not sure what current PILs say, but there can be problems if thyroxine is taken with calcium or iron containing foods or medicines. Many PILs did not explain that.

So what I do is check the PIL. Then read other PILs for generic or other branded versions of the medicine, if available. And read up in BNF. And elsewhere.

For example, BNF says, for ciclosporin:

"Counselling

Total daily dose should be taken in 2 divided doses. Avoid grapefruit or grapefruit juice for 1 hour before dose."

- compulsory but free registration

Things that have improved in more recently revised PILs:

o Information on what to do if a dose is missed.

o Order of presentation of information.

o Language.

Reply to
Rod

Not had that problem. I do them in a Pyrex jug.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is that a comment on Manchester, south of manchester, or the black pudding?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Other citrus fruit are in general ok.

I just looked at some of the instructions for Mother's pills, and there is indeed a Grapefruit warning on some of them (Felodipine & Simvestatin being two).

Indeed - however it is useful to know and be aware of the potential problems. Note also the the contra indications on drugs can vary according to the actual brand supplied.

Reply to
John Rumm

Five pints of lager followed closely by a GTX oil dripping Kebab is thus good for handling the sugar in the drink?

Cool .... :-)

Reply to
Adrian C

BNF says nothing about citrus fruit in respect of his medication.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Arfa Daily writes

I didn't even think of the film. I just picked up the love of fried green tomatoes in the states 25 years ago. Had them every day for breakfast, yummy!

BTW my favourite is the American breakfast i.e. fried eggs, ham, bacon, hash browns (real) sausage and sausage links plus fried green tomatoes if I can get them.

Second favourite is the Irish breakfast i.e. fried eggs, bacon, sausages, white, brown and clonakilty pudding.

Reply to
Bob Hardwell

Read the labels on almost any American produced food and you will find the magic words "Corn Syrup".

Everything over there tastes sickly sweet :o(

Reply to
Bob Hardwell

That depends on the variety. I agree that in USA it's virtually impossible (in my experience) to get flavourful red tomatoes.

You can get green tomatoes at most times if you grow your own of course. I prefer my red, orange, yellow or purple tomatoes from my greenhouse. This year I'm also growing white and brown, no idea what they'll taste like yet so I'm still growing the reliable flavour ones too.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes, that's exactly it.

Another one is red wine. The alcohol gets processed first and then the other things later.

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's correct. It is specifically grapefruit and not citrus fruit generically.

Some medications have slow release versions and those can have quite different characteristics to the regular ones.

Reply to
Andy Hall