OT; Full English

Having just enjoyed the culinary delights of a full English breakfast - a Sunday tradition at Handyman Towers - its got me wondering.

Who decided that baked beans & hash browns are part of the great English breakfast?

Now, I'm not adverse to the odd baked bean, nothing wrong with them, but who decided they were a breakfast item?

As for hash browns - an American perversion if you ask me, not a patch on proper fried left over potatoes.

But go to the cafe and what do you get? Baked beans & hash browns that's what.

And does anyone eat that half a tomato?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

My wife owns a cafe, and beans are not part of a full English, but you can have them as an option if you want. Saute potatoes are part of a vegie breakfast. Standard full English is sausage, bacon, fried tomato, egg(s), mushrooms, with toast and marmalade to follow. Orange juice (proper) or tea / coffee chucked in with the price. She has people queueing out the door for them.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

The message from "Arfa Daily" contains these words:

But where is the black pudding?

Reply to
Roger

.. and the kedgeree...

Reply to
Andy Hall

Where's the oatcake and black pudding? And tomatoes and egg on the same plate?

Reply to
Steve Firth

And the fried bread?

And the best addition to a Full English is white pudding imported from a Full Irish.

Reply to
mike

Vital.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Fried bread is what your fried half tomato is for - I always squish mine on top of the fried bread - that's the best bit!

Reply to
Icky Thwacket

Waffle and Maple Syrup?????????

Reply to
John

I couldn't believe that when I was 'treated' to breakfast in USA ... bleurch!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No thanks, I'm not a colonial.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Political food correctness has not reached parts of Ludlow as I had fried bread with a full English last weekend:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

All those foreign cafe owners?

They're not part of a traditional breakfast - even if such a thing ever existed as it would have varied by region and time of year. Using just local produce. Which could have included bacon, eggs and mushrooms but probably nothing else we get now.

But much easier to cook for those foreign owners...;-)

I do rather like fried tomatoes. Which were a bit of a delicacy when I were a lad instead of commonplace now - like so much else.

A traditional breakfast on a Sunday when I were a lad was porridge, herrings or kippers, and boiled eggs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

salt, no sugar, no milk?

Arbroath Smokies?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Depends where you're,a full English here in my locality is.... Bacon,Egg,Tomato,Beans,Sausage and Oninons with three slices of toast and a Mug O tea.

Beans has always been part of the FEB.

Reply to
George

Surprisingly little demand for it down here

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I agree with that if I'm having it at home, but it's a 'logistics' issue when you are trying to produce them commercially. When the whole breakfast is made fresh, which is what gets people queueing up for them, it just takes too long to produce a 'proper' piece of fried bread.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

How rude of you! I expect they would probably feel the same if they had a plate of pigs blood fried in lard put in front of them ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Tomatoes need to be over-ripe before being used to fry, and they need to be done slowly until they just start to 'catch'. It's those slightly blackened edges that put all the real flavour into them ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

The message from "Arfa Daily" contains these words:

Wot? No black pudding?

Reply to
Anne Jackson