OT; Full English

In Little Chef, possibly.

Even before there were beans.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Pancakes, bacon and maple syrup, yummy! Guaranteed to keep you farting all day!

Reply to
Anne Jackson

A restaurant that I used to frequent with my wife before we were married (we thought we were soooo sophisticated going to a 'real' restaurant !) used to do Arbroath Smokies with a beautiful cream and tomato sauce, as a starter. I used to love 'em, but I don't think I have had them - or even seen them here, since. Sadly, the retaurant is long since gone ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

The message from Roger contains these words:

Oh, I see someone has already asked... Hi Roger!

Reply to
Anne Jackson

Baked beans are simply too sweet. I do eat them but would be delighted if someone came out with an unsweetened version (no - not by adding sweeteners).

Hash browns are about the worst thing anyone ever decided to do to potatoes. They always seems to be sort-of uncooked - however long they have been in the oven or pan. Absolutely - leftover mash (or boiled), bacon fat, and a really runny (just lightly warmed) egg yolk or two.

Love tomatoes. Hate tinned tomatoes (unless a recipe ingredient). Hate tomatoes with egg - especially raw toms. A really horrible combination that seems to curdle on the plate or, given the chance, in the mouth.

What did I actually have for breakfast (in the real world, not the fantasy you invited me into)? Own-brand Shreddie-alikes. Better luck next week.

(Before anyone mentions cholesterol:

"The body can synthesise up to 1 gram of cholesterol per day, while only

20-40 mg per day is absorbed from food." )
Reply to
Rod

Thus spake Arfa Daily ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

I committed an act of sacrilege and had two grilled frankfurters with my Full English this morning. So that was two pork & chilli bangers, two frankfurters, bacon, egg, two sliced tomatoes and two leftover Jersey Royal potatoes, sliced and fried. Plus toast and tea. Luvverly.

Reply to
A.Clews

I bow to your greater experience :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not south of Manchester...

I was wondering that. My full English:

Smoked back bacon (cooked to *just* starting to crisp), pork sausage, fried slice, fried egg (two), black pudding, fried mushrooms. Large mug of tea and two buttered slices (not toast).

Trouble is I've been veggie for 15+ years... So that now becomes no bacon or black pudding and veggie sauasage (Caludron foods lincolnshire or "cumberland", not quorn or McCartney crap).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Sundays we have cooked breakfast - grapefruit then toast. It's special because it's excellent bread and honey, lemon curd, rose petal preserve, marmalade all made by me using my bees' and hens' produce. Can't do better.

Oh, and coffee, with whole real milk. Bottoms to cholesterol!

Rest of the week I have Grape Nuts, Spouse and grand daughter have boring old muesli from a Dorset packet.

What others have talked about as a full English breakfast would be too much in a morning, I occasionally make eggs, bacon and tomatoes for a main meal. No fried bread, it makes the house smell. Plain fresh bread is good for mopping juices.

My dad used to make eggs, bacon and tomatoes on Sunday mornings, I remember most the bit of charred wood he used to keep the pan tilted to baste the eggs. Bit of firewood originally I expect but it was sacred to the kitchen.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Really? Surely you just dip a slice of stale bread in the deep fat frier to soak it in fat and chuck it on the griddle that you're frying the egg, bacon and soss on?

Reply to
Huge

FWIW, when I 'do' a Full English at home, it consists of egg (fried duck eggs, with a cover on the pan so the tops cook without setting the yolks), bacon (local farm free range organic Large Blacks, rind cut off, leaving as much of the fat as possible, then grilled until the fat is crispy and light brown), sausages (same farm shop as the bacon, cooked slowly until dark brown and crispy on the outside - put these on first), black pudding and (ta-da) baked beans. If I have any left-over boiled potaties in the 'frig, I fry those up, else fried bread or hash browns. No mushrooms, 'cos they give me the squits.

I had a very satisfactory egg, bacon and sausage in a bap at the racing (*) yesterday. Although I suspect the nice-ness is largely down to eating it out of doors at 8:30, having risen at 04:45 to get there for 07:30.

(* Abingdon Motorsport CAR-nival.)

Reply to
Huge

The message from Anne Jackson contains these words:

Hi Anne

Being beaten to the draw is always a problem on Usenet. :-)

Reply to
Roger

No baked beans in it, so precious little farting.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Has eveyone forgotten the HP sauce? No matter what is on the breakfast (black pudding hopefully) it needs HP.

Now made in Belgium I believe.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Can't be bothered to check (yet again) what is and what is not interfered with, medication-wise, by grapefruit. So we never have that.

Coffee. Yes. Lavazza. Strong.

But I least I got out of the habit of needing a cigarette before anything else. :-)

Reply to
Rod

Salt and milk. Still like 'them' like that.

Not coming from Aberdeen, no? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not many caffs use fat these days. Clogs the injectors. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Didn't need any beans! Last time I ate that little delicacy in Edinburgh, I farted the entire length of Princes Street... it made window shopping an impossibility, 'cos they were _smelly_ as well!

Reply to
Anne Jackson

Very many things. Grapefruit is definitely of limits.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Would it be sacrilege to admit that I prefer a bit of Branston, instead of the HP?

The first French I learned was from the label on the HP bottle...

Reply to
Anne Jackson