OT; Full English

In the middle east I came across cans of Pork & beans - they were indeed very sweet. (And had to be purchased in a specially licensed shop.)

Reply to
Rod

I'm just quoting what SWMBO says!

Reply to
Bob Eager

And I'm just quoting a Breton friend, whose father was a professional cook. What we need here is a French linguist.....

Reply to
S Viemeister

S Viemeister wrote in

My understanding, from Breton M-in-L, is the stale bread explanation...

...and then there's a whole hornets' nest that you could stir up with your Breton=French implication ;)

Reply to
PeterMcC

Indeed :} But they were a bi-lingual family, and 'pain perdu' is French, is it not?

Reply to
S Viemeister

Yes. I take your point :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Or a cunning linguist if you want to get the problem licked (with apologies to Samantha Bond).

Reply to
Peter Twydell

Here we go again. And ad hominum argument. He is a handymnan who builds deck and is therefore unable to understand scientific research or have an opinion.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Are you saying fat is bad or the combination of fat & sugar is bad?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I *think* he is saying, if you are going to consume a little sugar, then by consuming it with some fat, you reduce its impact (probably by slowing down its absorption to some extent) compared to consuming the sugar more or less on its own.

Not meaning to put words into AH's mouth - more trying to check my understanding of what he wrote.

Reply to
Rod

Frying pans work every time for me. Crisp bacon edges and the eggs have that crispy edge as well. Can't see a GF doing a fried egg though.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Having just checked the ingredients of Tesco baked bean, I see what you mean. Time to change products I think.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Surely that is what you have in Amsterdam for breakfast when on a stag do.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Funnily enough, had unplanned visit to Tesco today.

I couldn't find any labelled 'no added sugar, no added'. The nearest I found had saccharin. (A pet hate of mine.)

But I *did* find "Heinz Reduced Sugar & Salt NEW RECIPE No artificial sweetener". Bought some to try. Ingredients very similar to our usual Branston (ex-C&B) - but sugar is down to 3.4% (Heinz) against 5.9% (C&B). Suspect major other difference must be an increase in water and thickener (cornflour/maize starch).

Reply to
Rod

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

Don't assume responsibility for all the wankers in the world...

Reply to
Anne Jackson

SWMBO is an argumentative so-and-so. She says that if it was stale (lost) bread, then it's being resurrected so it ought to be 'pain perdu et trouvé'!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Or pain trouvé?

Reply to
S Viemeister

No - I use the frying pan for that. The GF is only large enough for the bacon and sausages anyway. Alternately scrambled eggs in the microwave cut down on the washing up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's not what I said, which makes your argument a strawman.

Reply to
Huge

Yes. Quite revolting, like much processed food there.

Reply to
Andy Hall