Miele washing machines

Page 3 of 3
On 27 Jul 2003 18:35:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Bob Eager) wrote:

I don't follow the logic of that. The cost of having to replace a set of bearings is not so much the cost of the materials - as you point out they are cheap - but in the cost of doing the work.
I have no idea how long changing bearings takes on a Hotpoint or how it is done, but I am sure that the labour cost for having the work done professionally is going to be several times the parts cost.
Having looked at Miele spares pricing, some while ago, it didn't strike me as expensive, and I do know that servicing on their washers can be done entirely from the front - very useful considering the weight of the very solid engineering.
Anyway, my philosophy in this is that I view my DIY time as expensive. I would rather spend it creating something rather than fixing something that is broken, so if spending a little more on a quality product that over its life saves me 2-3 days of time then that makes good economic sense to me.
Even if you don't mind spending the time, not having to fix something that breaks seems worthwhile.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Yes...but to a DIY-er it's a good deal. To a non-DIY-er it isn't.
Or, to put it another way...the TCO of a Hotpoint is lower than a Miele to a DIY-er...but *may* not be to soemone else.

Ian probably knows...but it took me about 3 hours...
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
On 27 Jul 2003 20:12:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Bob Eager) wrote:

As long as you include fixing broken washing machines in your list of enjoyable DIY tasks. I don't particularly, but it doesn't mean that I don't DIY other things.

OK, seems reasonable. However, on top you presumably have to go and buy the parts from somewhere - say another 1-2 hours - in effect most of a day gone. If I cost my time at 150/day for DIY work, I might as well have spent that money on a better quality machine and not had the problem in the first place. I could spend the time on something with a far better return.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Well, it is quite satisfying....and I can do it. Some other DIY tasks I wouldn't even attempt!

Mail order. A few clicks!
If I felt that I'd actually use that time to earn a load of dosh, then clearly I'd change tactics. However, I'd probably just slouch in front of the TV!
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

I've got an 850 too....after having enough of Fiat Panda type cars...but 850s have their problems like anything else mechanical. My camshaft position sensor died last month so I had to get relayed...but fixed next day.
At the moment we have an unreliable Hoover washer/dryer (lived in a flat before so no space) and a baby so the thing's taking a hammering. Rather than pay 10pm for home appliance cover for repairs I was thinking of shelling out for a Miele 404Plus with the five year warranty they offer now...the costs about balance out over the long term. How long does a Miele repairman take to come out from reporting a fault? Are they the same 'gentlemen' that BGas send round to umm and arrr?
Probably get a dirt cheap dryer to throw in the garage for winter...good idea about John Lewis, I'll have to go the Sheffield to have a look at prices.
I don't really have the room for two washing machines, but could always keep the washer/dryer as a backup to be wheeled out...just add it to my collection of other spares I keep 'just in case' - I'll probably look like Albert Steptoe by the time I retire.....
On 27 Jul 2003 14:49:54 -0700, coot snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Conrad Edwards) wrote:

IME it was the following day or latest the day after that. They also have a very good booking system with the expected morning/afternoon choice. If you call them after 1800 the day before, the jobs are available on the computer. You can key in your reference number and the system will give you an ETA for the engineer, taking into account jobs booked before yours and travelling time. The engineer calls if he is going to be much later than the estimated time.

No. The one that visited us recently with the replacement filter was thesame guy that replaced the switch several years ago. He told me that he had been with the company for nearly 20 years and still enjoys working on the products because they are so well made.

Have a look at on-line sites as well. On a quick search I saw a price of 560 on this product - there are probably better. I don't know what John Lewis price is , but lat time I bought a white goods item they were 15% higher and would not come down.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Not against an internet site, only bricks and mortar places.
http://www.johnlewis.com/info/Help.asp?HelpID=9&str 0&m9
I have even had a case where they refused to price match against a local store. The department manager claimed that the other store was selling below cost or at trade prices and that their "never knowingly undersold" policy therefore did not apply. I asked to see that in writing but it wasn't forthcoming. I asked to speak to the store manager but he wasn't available.
I bought the product from the other store and wrote to the store manager. He apologised and said that they should have matched a local store price but backed his department manager in saying that the place I had found was a trade place and not a consumer outlet. It wasn't. He did include a voucher for lunch in their restaurant, however.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Very unlucky..

Really don't know as it hasn't been a problem as yet..

Ah!, yes. Know wot U mean:-((...
--
Tony Sayer

Try this. http://www.washerhelp.com /
Regards Capitol

But when they go down, which they do, you have no clean clothes. The all important "down time". Two mid priced machines also means a quicker wash, as twice the load, and not dragged out over days with washing ganging around the kitchen, etc.

However....
1) I don't have room for 2 washing machines. Well, I do, but it's taken up by a second fridge, which _is_ used daily.
2) Are the 200 mid-priced machines as quiet?
3) Are they A-efficiency rated?
4) Why the hell has this thread become another soapbox for another one of your crazy ideas?
-- Richard Sampson

A bummer.

These days not bad. But you can get Bosch machines from 200-250 which are quiet.

The Argos Candy, at 189, was AA rated.

It is plain you cannot think outside the box. Lateral thinking has flown you by.

Nope.
In this instance Reality kicks in. OP has already stated that he doesn't have space for 2 washing machines.
I'm sure your suggestion has been noted, however (it's been stated about 20 times in this thread alone). Leave it there. Move on.
-- Richard Sampson

He does. He is keeping the old one.

It hasn't.

Are you buying another washing machine?
"RichardS" wrote | "IMM" wrote | > But when they go down, which they do, you have no clean clothes. The all | > important "down time". Two mid priced machines also means a quicker wash, | > as twice the load, and not dragged out over days with washing ganging | > around the kitchen, etc. | I'm sure that 100% redundancy does produce zero downtime in this instance. | However.... | 1) I don't have room for 2 washing machines. Well, I do, but it's taken up | by a second fridge, which _is_ used daily.
Down time might be important for all these families with young children who seem to run the machine continuously. I don't know why, my mother hand washed all the clothes, and terry nappies, and held down a full time teaching job and did marking in the evening. Not that I'm suggesting drudgery is next to saintliness.
But don't most normal people have a week's supply of spare clothes anyway? Or a neighbour who would run a load through her/his machine? Or take a bagful to work and run it through with the office tea-towels.
Owain

Virtually all washing machines have full electronic controls today. They have rotary dials, with artificial stops that give the impression of a mechanical switch, for ease of use. Digital displays confuse people.
Which magazine did point out that modern machines are far more reliable than those of 10,15, 20 years ago. So, an average performing machine today in reliability, will be a top of the range machine 10 years ago. There is no sense in buying a super expensive machine purely for reliability these days.
"BigWallop" wrote | All I know is that I'm sticking with my 20 year old machine that has been | rebuilt twice since new. It has a new inner and outer drum, a new timer | module, new heater, new motor control board, new shock absorbers, has had | two changes of water inlet valves, all new thermostats, a new pressure | switch and attachments and a new front control knob when the original one | had its spline broken by the kids turning it back the wrong way and it | couldn't be glued.
Trying to remember the scaffie on ONly Fools and Horses who had a broom like that.
| Who am I kidding 20 years old. The only thing that's still original is the | casing and even that has had a new coat of paint.
I'd change those water hoses too. They're probably going to split soon :-)
| Still a washing machine is a washing machine and they all have interchan- | geable parts and are easily modified when you need them to be. :-))
And what have you modified yours to do? Bounce up and down on its little feet to the tune of Bonny Lass o' Fyvie on a 60deg Warm Whites cycle?
Owain