Margaret Drabble

Margaret Drabble, I was intrigued and delighted to read, loves jigsaws ("the perfect employment") and has just published a kind of history of herself, of the jigsaw, and of her life through jigsaws.

How cool is that? I thought. I had an image of her carefully selecting the right tool in her garage before tackling a complex bit of woodwork, or looking at advertisements for them in a copy of some 1960s woodworking magazine.

Sadly, it turned out that both she and her reviewer meant jigsaw puzzles. Sad also that a writer, someone who is supposed to be attentive to words, can write a whole book blunderously calling jigsaw puzzles "jigsaws".

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

I rather hope that MD herself gets to read that. :-)

Reply to
Rod

Bit like calling vacuum cleaners Hoovers.

Reply to
The Wanderer

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Wanderer saying something like:

Only a bit - nobody really cleans their carpet with the Hoover Dam, for example, so the opportunity for confusion is slight. Edgar J. Hoover may have been a bit of a c*ck-sucker in his private life, but it certainly wasn't known about.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The point presumably being that jigsaw puzzles were cut out with a jigsaw.

Reply to
Rob G

More likely a scroll saw.

Reply to
Bob Martin

More likely a sodding great pastry cutter and a 30 ton press.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher