manual two way 15mm valve? Do they exist?

Hi,

I'm putting in 14 rads on my new house. there are going to be two zones, an upstairs and a downstairs zone. Consequently there is three 22mm tubes, upstairs flow, downstairs flow and common return (via two motorised zone valves)

However we have a room downstairs (used to be 1/2 of the double garage).

We envisage using this as a "flexible room" either as a study, a family room or as a fifth bedroom for an elderly/infirm relative depending on our needs at the time.

So we have a requirement for a 15mm changeover valve that will allow us to assign the room's rad's flow pipe to to either the upstairs flow or the downstairs flow pipe. Obviously the return pipe from this rad is not a problem as it is going to the common return pipe.

The best I can come up with is a pair of 15mm isolation valves and a Tee piece.....

Regards

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen H

Motorised valve without the motor?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

These are 22mm devices the flow and return pipes to the one rad are 15mm .... yes I could use 3 off 22mm to 15mm reducers, but this is more expensive than using a pair of isolation valves and a Tee.....

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen H

Fair enough. I did not know if you were motivated by price or elegance of the solution.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

IME that wouldn't be a solution though. The ones I've played with require the motor to actively lock the valve. Removed the motor from one once to find a replacement and used a pair of mole grips attached to the shaft to control it meantime. Even a fair weight hanging on the end of them wouldn't keep it shut.

Reply to
Scott M

Could you feed the room from a point just before the 2 valves and use a programmable TRV on the radiator in that room?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Not quite sure what you mean. But if you want this rad to be on when either of the upstairs or downstarirs zones are on, then tee off before the flow tees off to upstairs or downstairs, then fit a 15mm 1/4 turn full bore 2 port stop valve and run this to the flow of the rad.

You be may be able to have a 2-port zone valve and a timeclock just for this one rad zone.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

than allowing both directions at once. Otherwise known as a 3/2 valve - three port, two way.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker