Lockable tilt and turn handle

I've just moved into a house which has a large upvc window/patio door with a tilt and turn door fitted. The door doesn't have a lock, just a large handle which operates the tilt and turn. This doesn't seem very secure and I'm sure the insurance woudln't cover me if there was a break in. Is it possible to fit a secure locking mechanism such as a five lever locking handle and where might I find such a thing or are there other options? I've searched Google but not really sure what I should be looking for as it throws up plenty of tilt and turn handles but these appear to be mostly for windows.

Thanks

John

Reply to
John

No Lock ??? ....So what's on the handle on the "other" side .? Are you saying someone can just open it from the outside and walk in .??

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

John I'm no expert but I have the same thing in my living room and my handle locks so you should be able to get one for it. It will depent on what kind of locking system is fitted to your door. Do you know what double glaing company fitted windows?

If so, you could contact them they should be able to supply another handle. As for it being more secure I don't know. I mean when handle is closed door will be locked. If someone is able to operate handle from inside then you already have a problem i.e. someone in your house. You might be correct about the insurance side though.

Reply to
joph

I found this site excellent for UPVC hardware:

Peter

I found this site excellent for UPVC hardware:

Peter

This is not a grey areas, it's a black-and-white issue: find out by consulting your insurance policy (which includes whatever declaration you made to the company about locks etc when you set up the policy).

David

Reply to
Lobster

I've been in touch with them and it seems they have a locking handle, though not up to five lever standards. Presumably this is common to most patio doors also?

John

Reply to
John

Not an expert, but I think insurance companies accept UPVC units as acceptable.

It's worth checking with yours though!

Reply to
Peter