IP Camera recommendations?

I thought of that, but it's a busy-ish road so it'd be on half the time.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I had problems in daylight until I turned the 'brightness' down. At night, even with it turned all the way up, it's impossibly murky.

Reply to
Bob Eager

As it happens, I'm looking at Zoneminder right now anyway...

Reply to
Bob Eager

If the IR image is good enough to trigger the alarm use the alarm out to switch the light on. Then at least the post trigger recording will be better.

Reply to
dennis

The image isn't good enough - I get very little recording at all.

Looks as if I need to investigate ways of getting the camera outside.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Have you considered these:-

Really cheap!

Reply to
Capitol

Kills the battery on my old HTC, even with mains charger (HTC limits it to 0.4A) it packs up after a few hours from full charge.

AJH

Reply to
news

The standard way of converting a off-the-shelf digital camera for near IR only photography is to remove the IR (blocking) filter in front of the detector element and replace it with two layers of "black" processed colour film negative. In the days when we used 35mm colour film there was always a bit of the negative returned after processing that was fully black.

The new black negative filter blocks visible light but let through the near IR. This works with cameras with plastic and multi-element glass lenses.

Reply to
alan

That's interesting, thanks, I may have some negs lying around in the photo archives with some black lead in ends still present.

For a faff free buy however, this sort of thing might be easier:

(IR filter sheet)

Amazingly difficult to search for though, plenty of false hits.

Reply to
fred

I read somewhere that because the focal point of IR differs from that of visible light, one needs to move the detector to compensate for the auto-focus. Any tips on how far to move it and in which direction - or is it all down to trial and error?

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

On Saturday 18 January 2014 11:49 Nick Odell wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes - the focal point of a lens is totally dependent on the wavelength. That's why your optician does the red circle/green circle test. Spectacles have to compromise so he's trying to balance the focus of red and green so one is not outstandingly blurry.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Are you wanting to take IR shots with a point and shoot digital camera or are you still on the IP camera topic?

Reply to
Richard

which is why camera lenses - or one reason why camera lenses - are more than one 'lens'. To correct chromatic aberration.

However they do not USUALLY correct for infra red...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It will depend on how the focus is being implemented. If it is using the image falling on the detector element itself then blocking the visible image with a filter that only allows IR the autofocus should still work.

On single lens reflex film cameras (and probably the new generation of top-end digital cameras) there is an extra red mark on most lenses. You focus using the visible band and then moved the focus point to the second reference mark on the lens.

Reply to
alan

Sorry: I jumped into the thread at this point and didn't notice the subject line.

I've got a 'spare' bridge camera and some idle thoughts about converting it to IR. It's spare because so much has broken that it just isn't worth taking out and about any more: I have another bridge camera in full working order anyway. I just thought that I might take it apart to try and fix the problems - which are all electrical contact things anyway - and at the same time it might be worth turning it into something different.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

See my reply to Richard, above. It's a Fujifilm S1500 bridge camera which has a 10Mp sensor and fair-to-middling quality lens but has no manual focus option. The battery compartment lid is held on with string, the rotary selector has intermittent contacts and the on-off switch doesn't work (I switch it on by pressing the picture-viewing button followed by the "resume taking pictures" routine and have set the auto-shut-down to the minimum time). You can see why I use my other camera, can't you? I either have to chuck it in the bin or open it up and see if I can fix it - in which case a mod to IR seems an interesting way to go.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

A while back, I used an Olympus point and shoot for IR. It worked fairly well. That camera didn't need any internal alterations and simply used a filter in front of the lens. The autofocus worked for IR shots. See here for a filter and some info:

Richard

WTF is a "bridge" camera?

Reply to
Huge