IP Camera recommendations?

I need to get another camera to monitor the other side of the front of the house. The camera probably has to be on the first floor, and looking out of a window (it's hard to attach one in the right place, and it's vulnerable at ground level).
Currently I have a Panasonic BL-C1 covering one side. It's OK, although not marvellous at night. But when I went to get another one, it's been superseded by one that *requires* IE - which I don't use since my main desktop isn't Windows.
I tried a cheap Foscam camera, and it works fine in daylight but not at night - it has IR but (a) that just reflects off the inside of the window and (b) probably doesn't do a lot anyway.
Any ideas/recommendations that won't totally break the bank? Wired is fine - there is plenty of network access.
Thanks.
"Bob Eager" wrote in message

I have a pan and tilt Tenvis indoor one in the lambing shed with IR lighting that works very well. Although its wifi capable I've hard wired it. I also have three other Tenvis outdoor cameras 391W I think. They have ir illumination but the area is lit anyway. One currently is lying on the garage windowsill waiting permanent fitting, and as you mentioned the glass reflects the ir. The only issue I've had has been one of them badly fogging up after very heavy rain (It's in an exposed position at the top of a lamp post) Tenvis refused to exchange it as over a year old, so I took it apart, dried it thoroughly (having actually poured water out first!), greased the O ring seals with Vaseline, and put a small bag of silica gel desiccant in. No trouble since and the others didn't fail in the same exposed position, also we've had worse rain and wind since it failed.
Andrew
On Tuesday, 14 January 2014 21:14:06 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:

You can access the video feed directly (i.e. with the GUI that requires ActiveX and IE) via the following URL:
http://<IP address>/nphmotionJpeg?Resolution20x240&Quality=Clarity
...where Resolution can be 640x480 or 320x240, and Quality one of Clarity, Standard or Motion. snapshotJpeg can be substituted for a single snapshot.
Mathew
On Tuesday, 14 January 2014 21:52:38 UTC, Mathew Newton wrote:

^^^^
Oops, to clarify, I meant *without* ...
On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 13:52:38 -0800, Mathew Newton wrote:

Thanks - that's useful. Although presumably there are no controls available...!
On Tuesday, 14 January 2014 23:32:08 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:

Sorry, that's right, just the raw image. I poll mine using an external monitoring solution (Zoneminder) and so don't use any of the built-in functionality/controls of the cameras themselves.
On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 12:21:28 -0800, Mathew Newton wrote:

As it happens, I'm looking at Zoneminder right now anyway...
Rather puzzled why it might need IE. Surely if its an IP camera, it should just work.
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Bob Eager" < snipped-for-privacy@eager.cx> wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

Quite a few IP cameras and DVRs use ActiveX controls from the "works with IE6" dark ages.

Yes don't they just, bloody nuisance..
Like Java shite;(...
--
Tony Sayer

On 14 Jan 2014 21:14:06 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

IR won't go through glass (greenhouse effect, oops, Harry...DOWN); it will go through quartz 'glass'.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

I think you're mixing up long wave thermal radiation used in passive infra red imaging with short wave IR that is emitted by IR leds and high temperature IR emitters. The former will not pass through glass but the latter will. They don't use special glass in the front covers of IR led cameras.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 10:32:47 +0000, fred wrote:

Ah, OK. Memories from the time of reflowing solder on PCBs with IR - obviously near-IR as it had a visible component.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

I wonder if that might have been more for temperature resistance than transmission reasons, a bit like quartz envelopes on halogen bulbs.
Also, I suppose if regular glass was to absorb even a little of the short wave IR then it would become significant if you were pumping kWs through it.
When experimenting with IR leds I found that my supposedly opaque (white) plastic ruler was pretty much transparent to short wave IR, much confusion.
For Bob, it's usually quite easy to open the case on IR cams and disconnect the leds to avoid reflections, they're usually in a chain. Not so good for the warranty though.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 15:12:43 +0000, fred wrote:

I can turn the LEDs off in any case. The problem is that the Foscam just doesn't work well enough in the low light level (unlike the Panasonic, which does!)
On 15/01/2014 16:41, Bob Eager wrote:

I put a pir lamp near the camera so I get colour images when its triggered at night.
On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 18:53:37 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

I thought of that, but it's a busy-ish road so it'd be on half the time.
On 15/01/2014 21:13, Bob Eager wrote:

If the IR image is good enough to trigger the alarm use the alarm out to switch the light on. Then at least the post trigger recording will be better.
On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 23:42:22 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

The image isn't good enough - I get very little recording at all.
Looks as if I need to investigate ways of getting the camera outside.

Strangely I found the opposite. I had a couple of Foscams (got one, sent it back, tried another sent it back). In the dark they were OK, but during daylight next to useless.
Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain