BBC Summerwatch DIY for £35 outdoor wifi camera.

This camera was mentioned on BBC Summerwatch this week. I can't find the details of how to make one. Anybody know where the details are provided?

Reply to
Martin

this?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's here

- link from that page to the infra-red version - which uses a slightly different camera and two little infra-red 'floodlights'

Got one in pieces on the bench now - waiting to be boxed up and then sat outside to see what we can see. Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

It looks like it. Thanks. I thought the one on Summerwatch could be used for daylight and night photos.

Reply to
Martin

Daylight or night time version?

Reply to
Martin

Thanks! Adrian.

Reply to
Martin

Yes I had one of the daylight cameras by me, and I've just had one of the IR camera / floodlight kits delivered. As I understand it, the daylight camera has an IR filter built-in - which is why you need the 'No-ir' camera if you want to take photos in the dark.

The No-ir version seems to work OK in daylight....

When I downloaded the RPi disk image, and burnt it to the SD-card, the 'Etcher' software bitched about it during the verification process - but it appears to run OK.

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

You will get weird colour casts without an ir-cut filter in daylight, you can get switchable filters which could be connected (with suitable driver) to a GPIO pin, e.g.

Depends what lens mount you have (CS is popular on single board CCTV cameras) or whatever you can bodge together

But for a wildlife camera, it might be overkill ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Clever!

How long would you expect it to keep going on the battery? Obviously depends on the battery size (say 6000mAh) and number of times activated, but ballpark?

Reply to
RJH

Springwatch?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well the Daylight article says to use a 6000MAh (or better pack) and recharge "periodically" - which isn't a lot of use The IR version says to use a 12000mAh pack "ideally" and, again 'periodically'. ISTR I saw a figure of 12 hours usage before recharging

- but I think that was on another site...

I've got a spare 12Ah dryfit battery - so I'll give that a try... I guess, if your trap can be located reasonably close to your house, then you could always run 5v or 12v out to it (possibly 12v would be better for any reasonable length of cable) - or even mains?

Neat little setup. I'd looked at other programs for doing this - but the Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter-watch one is a complete SD-card image - which makes life simple...

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Probably be more than stuff on the box just now if you can see. do they have a summerlisten microphone as well? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

For night you'll need a noIR camera and an IR illuminator for good results, and for day an IR filter for good colour rendering.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I think Martin was just being a little playful in grabbing the last unclaimed season based ****watch title as a generic stand in for all the other ****watch named BBC natural history series. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

We should have a competition for the best portmanteau title.

YearWatch? Nah...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Isn't it already called NatureWatch?