Malibue outdoor lights

Do the transformers get weak over the years, my lights get dimmer further away from the transformer, I only have 110 watts on a 600 watt transformer, or is my cable bad its only 35 yrs old, as is the transformer.

Reply to
ransley

It's a function of distance, and the Malibu web site states the limitations. Has the light output diminished recently?

RicodJour

The farther the dimmer.... that would be the cable/wire.

Reply to
Tony

I had them in the basement for years unused, but with the 100ft cable maybe its normal since I tried another old transformer and its dim.

Reply to
ransley

Do you mean the wire is old and corroded and new wire would help?

Reply to
ransley

Yes.

In general wiring, there is always resistance in the wire so it is normal to be a little dimmer at the far end. A good system will have wire heavy enough to make that hardly or not noticeable at all.

But... you also have a connection at each light, after 35 years it's due for a tune up. Start by taking the first light and redoing the wire nuts at each connection, they are probably a little green by now. Cut off the old corroded wire and make a new connection with clean wire, new wire nuts, and dielectric grease. If you don't have any wire to spare you could try to simply tighten the wire nuts. If not, then replace the wire.

If the lamps had some type of built in clip on connectors it will have to be checked carefully, hopefully they aren't corroded and it wont require new lamp fixtures. If I were in that situation I'd probably solder the wire to the old lamp fixtures, but learning to solder in this situation probably isn't a good idea.

Reply to
Tony

Transformers don't get weak, but they (and wire connections) might corrode. You'll need to do some troubleshooting. Yes, even copper corrodes over time so that may be what you need to replace. I have a "Made in China" transformer, going on 16 years outdoors. It stays dry inside a "birdhouse" I made specifically for it.

Reply to
Phisherman

The actual transformer willnot get weak, it either works or does not work. The connections into and out of the transformer are another matter. They can corrode and drop the voltage.

Reply to
hrhofmann