BackUp camera monitor.

My 2022 Dodge RAM has a backup camera that shows what is behind the truck when I shift into reverse. If I wanted to upsize the monitor, can I just unhook the video cable from the radio and plug it into a backup monitor that I install myself. Are all those connections generic ? The display on the radio is only 4", I would like it to be bigger and on when I want it, not just while in reverse.

Thanks

Reply to
Sid 03

I have no experience with this, but it sounds like it should work.

At least the video signal should be, might be, could be, ah, who knows. Probably is.

I'm sure you added "having it on when you want it" as an after thought and you know it will take more than must moving the cable. In the old days, the Reverse gear switch would be double pole if necesary and you could just move the wires to your own switch. Now it probably just sends a signal to the Body Processor

Do you have the wiring diagram for the car? What make? My last two cars are toyotas and the steering, ignition, engine etc. repair instructions are written for techs with loads of toyota specialized test and setup equipment. But at least the wiring diagram is 98%** complete. I haven't seen an American shop manual for a few years. I'm hoping they are still good.

You could end up not using the car's Reverse signal and using your own switch, but then it wouldn't go on autmoatically when you're in reverse.

**The missing 2% is how it tells the dash lights it's dark out, when even putting 3 layers of black electric tape and 4 layers of a black T-shirt over the photocells in the dashboard won't make the lights for the 3 instrucments above the radio turn on. But it does make the headlights and taillights turn on. (The second photocell is to tell the AC that it's sunny out. The wiring diagrem shows which is which but I covered both in case it was wrong. Didnt' help.)
Reply to
micky

I don't think I see why you couldn't have both - automatically when you shift into reverse and manually whenever you flip a switch.

Connect them to a different power source? Maybe that's impractical.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Possible to have automatic reverse and manual but if you don't want the backup lights on with the manual switch you will need an isolaion diode thrown in somewhere. On my Ranger I have backup plus left and tight turn cameras connected

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Good point. YOu probably could just add a switch and have both.

Maybe I could do that, but a) Now I don't have the energy b) the wiring diagream views soome of this stuff as a black box, doesn't show where the wires go inside. c) I tried adding a ground near those lights... I gave up, I give up. Now I'm planning for the next car.

Reply to
micky

Isolation diode: Yes, already thought that through, just didn't want to confuse the question. Thanks

Reply to
Sid 03

Another convertible, I presume? What's available?

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Interesting, thanks. I was speaking theoretically, so it's good to have some practical info.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Right. NOt much.

Especially since I want a video screen for a map, and I don't want a car less than 5 years old (so I don't have to pay more than $9000.)

Plus I like a soft ride, and most of the convertibles for sale now are Camaros and Mustangs.

There are also Mazda Miatas, which have video screens, but they are so small I think they must make the driver feel every bump. And I don't know how I can take a vacation in a Miata. The trunk is so small.

I may give up on the video screen and just buy a separate GPS. I returned the $70 one because it insisted on putting the direction I was going at the top, but I'll buy a more expensive one that probably doesn't do that, like that famous brand whose name I forget.

I once bought a car in PHiladelphia sight unseen (although there were 58 pictures) and took the train up there to get it. That's the one that only lasted 2 months. But other than that, everything went okay.

I can imagine buying one from California, where they still have a lot of convertibles, and driving it back. There is a lot to see on the way.

For the thread about antenna TV, that's what I watch, and what with youtube and in general less time to watch tv, I've narrowed it down to MeTV and AntennaTV, and mostly shows from the 60's, and one advantage is that everyone drives big cars and half of them drive convertibles. Feels like the old days. I may have new problems but all my problems from the 60's have been solved.

Reply to
micky

Garmin? That's easy to remember because it's simply the first 3 letters of the two guys who started the company: Gary Burrell and Min H. Kao. It's a portmanteau, a word I rarely get to use.

About 15 years ago a friend of a friend flew from Omaha to San Diego to visit his son. While there, he bought a pretty nice Cadillac and drove it back to Omaha. When he got home, he immediately took it to the local shop, complaining that the AC wasn't working properly. It turned out that he had driven from SD to Omaha with the seat heater on its highest setting, and this was in August. Ouch.

I think there were some convertibles on The Beverly Hillbillies. :)

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I'm active on a couple of auto forums. Amazing, some of the questions. Many cars have automatic rain sensing wipers. Question was: "How do I turn the wipers off for a car wash?"

Reply to
Ed P

Yeah, that's it. I remembered when I read my own previous paragraph.

That only works if you know who started the company. And if you remember. It might help me now.

That's terrible. It's not that cold here, but I have seat heaters and I have to remember to turn it off within about 3 minutes. It's not too hot then, but if I let it stay on until it is too hot, 5 minutes, it doesn't cool off for 10 more minutes and that's uncomfortable. Having it on for 1000 miles

(The Chrysler Lebaron had settings off plus 1-9 for how much heat, but this Toyota Solara just has on and off.)

I did have one hot day on one of my trips when I thought the AC of the rental car was broken, but I just hadn't turned it on. It was the only time I had a passenger, and she somehow distracted me. I'm sorry I made her uncomfortable. 30 minutes each way.

Yes, Jane Hathaway drives one. I like that show. So do Perry Mason and Paul Drake.

Reply to
micky

YOu had me there for quite a while, but I suppose there is a switch setting.

Reply to
micky

The bunwarmers I put in the ranger have a high and low setting. The Kia has 3 settings

Reply to
Clare Snyder