[OT?] Reverse camera not working

The reverse camera on my Hyundai ix35 is playing up. It is still under warranty, so shouldn't be a problem to get it repaired, but I am trying to save me the hassle of taking it to the garage...
It comes to life when you put it in reverse (with a beep to indicate that it was turned on), and shows the back of the car with a rectangle that indicates the safe area behind.
When parking yesterday I noticed that it stopped working - the screen was completely dead (black), although it still beeps when the car is put in reverse.
Every time I put the car in reverse today it either not worked at all (black screen), or only showed the rectangle, but no picture. The parking sensors (audio warning) are still working.
Could it be something as simple as a fuse etc that I can fix myself?

Unlikely to be a fuse given that it sometimes shows the rectangle.
And you don’t want to fiddle too much if you want to get them to fix it under warranty.

It's a long-shot, but I've got something you could try.
I have a Skoda Octavia, and occasionly it falls victim of what I presume is a software bug. It dosn't have a camara, just the reversing sensors and on-screen graphics.
If I switch the ignition on while it is in reverse, the sensors and graphics work, but when I come out of reverse, the screen is blank, and I can't use the radio. The cure seems to be to repeat the operation.
So, turn off the ignition, select reverse gear, turn on the ignition and select neutral.
I'd be suprised if it works, but it's something to try.
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
On 23/12/2016 01:04, Graham. wrote:

Just tried - nothing...
Garage it is then.
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 23:49:50 +0000, JoeJoe wrote:

Check some joker hasn't stuck chewing gum on the lens? ;)
--
TOJ.

On 23/12/2016 12:57, The Other John wrote:

1st thing I checked... ;-)

As a matter of interest, what is the advantage of a camera over ordinary reversing sensors and the use of the mirrors?
--
*Cover me. I'm changing lanes.

It's much easier to get into a parking space.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

I'll take your word for it. Personally, don't see how. My ideal is a nearside mirror that tilts down to show the kerb. The reversing sensors tell you when close to anything behind.
--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

I haven't got either, but I would have thought that it was easier if you can *see* what's going on rather than having to interpret bleeps from sensors - particularly if you're about to reverse into a concrete post.
--
Cheers,
Roger

The bleep is very easy to interpret. Gets quicker as you get closer and goes steady to tell you to stop.
I never saw the point of them until I bought a car with one fitted. Then found it so good I fitted a kit to my older car.
But I can't really see how a camera could add to it.
--
*If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends? *

Innocent question, have you ever used a reversing camera? If not you might not see the point of them until you drive a car with one fitted.....and then you might be retro fitting one to your other car. :-)
In my opinion when working a camera is better than sensors, since it will pick up things that a sensor wont (eg parking bay lines) but there might be all sorts of expense/maintenance/reliability issues why overall sensors might be considered a better solution.
--
Chris B (News)

Yes - I can see that. But it's not something that can be retrofitted neatly. Unlike a bleeper which you don't need to see.

My tilting nearside door mirror shows the parking bay lines (or kerb) nicely. It tilts down automatically when you select reverse. But this can be disabled if needed.
Thing is I live in central London so often have to park in tight spots. Sensors for the front of the car as well as the back would be a priority before a camera. But as you said I've not actually lived with one to know how useful it would be.
--
*I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter

my current car has both
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Corse it can. There is no reason why the camera can't look like a screw head etc and all you have to do is mount it symmetrically.

You don’t need to see the ones mounted in the wing mirrors either.

And a camera can do that and much more as well.

I don’t agree. A camera in each corner with automatic switching of the one which is closest to something outside the car like a wall or adjacent car would allow you to see much more clearly if you are going to miss it and it wouldn’t be hard to have that produce the same audible effect you get with sensors.
Like most modern cars, mine slopes down dramatically at the front and it is impossible to see where the two front corners are when sitting in the drivers seat. A camera at each corner would make it much more obvious if you have enough room to continue when parking in a tight spot.
And those would allow you to see where the road marking is too. Sensors don’t allow that.
And cameras would allow fully integrated dash cam operation as well so you have full coverage of what happened before the accident, and when some ape tried to break into your car or some woman driver managed to hit it when it was parked etc. No sensor can ever do anything like that.

That's obvious and lack the imagination to work out the basics too.
On 23/12/2016 15:57, Roger Mills wrote:

Nor have I - and I can park a Fiat Scudo with no rear windows into places that others (mainly women) cannot park an Hyundai i10.
--
Adam

I havent either, but it would be more convenient to have some assistance, particularly when hitching the trailer and so I don’t have to be so conservative when driving forward into the tightest spots.

My camera view (Mazda) includes lines showing where you will get to in a few yards' time ; you can see both sides at the same time rather than going from one mirror to the other. You can also see what is actually behind. Sensors can go off with a high kerb.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 23/12/16 16:27, charles wrote:

Nissan's 360 degree system used on the Qashqai is impressive. I've been in one. The camera view is birds eye ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTTgtPcxNRE

However, it's not rocket science. Could do the same on the raspberry Pi's GPU with four web cams attached?
http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/avm.html
Such a system would work well on lorries for avoiding crush incidents. Probably already is one. If not, have Nissan got exclusivity on this tech?
--
Adrian C

On 23/12/2016 16:27, charles wrote:

..and may not necessarily go off if there's a bollard there, and if it's lower than the rear window (which most are) you won't see it.
Reversing cameras are A Good Thing IMHO
--
Mark