[OT?] Reverse camera not working

The bleep is very easy to interpret. Gets quicker as you get closer and goes steady to tell you to stop.

I never saw the point of them until I bought a car with one fitted. Then found it so good I fitted a kit to my older car.

But I can't really see how a camera could add to it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

...just off the camera lenses...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

there's only one lens - and it's shielded from the rain ;-)

Reply to
charles

Innocent question, have you ever used a reversing camera? If not you might not see the point of them until you drive a car with one fitted.....and then you might be retro fitting one to your other car. :-)

In my opinion when working a camera is better than sensors, since it will pick up things that a sensor wont (eg parking bay lines) but there might be all sorts of expense/maintenance/reliability issues why overall sensors might be considered a better solution.

Reply to
Chris B

Yes - I can see that. But it's not something that can be retrofitted neatly. Unlike a bleeper which you don't need to see.

My tilting nearside door mirror shows the parking bay lines (or kerb) nicely. It tilts down automatically when you select reverse. But this can be disabled if needed.

Thing is I live in central London so often have to park in tight spots. Sensors for the front of the car as well as the back would be a priority before a camera. But as you said I've not actually lived with one to know how useful it would be.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

my current car has both

Reply to
charles

..and may not necessarily go off if there's a bollard there, and if it's lower than the rear window (which most are) you won't see it.

Reversing cameras are A Good Thing IMHO

Reply to
Mark Carver

I'm of an age that heated rear windows were a stick-on extra and some cars had the heater as an optional extra. Cars have come a long way since then.

Reply to
charles

They have (was there a pun intend ?) Back in 50s my parents couldn't afford a heater AND a radio, so they just opted for the radio.

Reply to
Mark Carver

Nor have I - and I can park a Fiat Scudo with no rear windows into places that others (mainly women) cannot park an Hyundai i10.

Reply to
ARW

I once had a Series I Land Rover that had what I believe was an aftermarket heater.

I remember driving across Sussex one very cold night and deciding it was time for the heater to go on. So, stopped at the traffic lights in Hawkhurst, I got out, opened the bonnet, opened the tap that let hot water into the heater, closed the bonnet, got back in and drove off.

Those were the days. Perhaps.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I once drove a Morgan 4/4 in freezing fog from St. Albans to Birmingham using a hot water bottle to keep a clear patch of windscreen!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I've had reversing sensors on four cars. One set aftermarket and fitted by me. Have never reversed into *anything* since - provided you obey the warning signal. I have occasionally had a false 'positive' but then you can always get out and look at what's causing it.

Those who ignore those warnings are just as likely to not bother looking at a camera screen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How close can you safely get to an obstacle without any danger of hitting it?

Reply to
Roger Mills

As close as I need to. I'm not going to spend ages carefully looking at a reversing camera to get to 1mm or whatever of any obstruction. I can already guess if my car will fit a parking space without needing to be told.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Good for you.

Reply to
Mark Carver

So can I - but quite often the only available spaces are only *just* long enough, and require several shunts to get in. My reversing sensor is feeling (seat of pants) when the rubber cap on my towball touches the car behind!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Ah. Not sure how average parking sensors cope with a tow bar.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Obviously one of your cars was not a Lexus 420. A friend has one and the sensors did not pick up the bollard when he reversed into his usual parking place! The after market sensors on the previously owned one, did work. This was on day 2 of ownership!

Reply to
Capitol

Next try backing up to a trailer hitch!

Reply to