Reversing Sensors

My car has sensors - dealer fitted from new using genuine Honda kit - and they are now giving an intermittent bleep when I select reverse and they no longer register obstructions. Any ideas what the failure mode is on these things?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The sensors derive their power from the reversing light circuit.

Are your reversing lights flickering/not lit?

Is the connection to the reversing light circuit (usually in the boot) sound?

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Thanks for that - do they go open or short circuit?

Any more info gratefully accepted. I don't believe it can be a power problem. I haven't aclue where the electronics box is as most of the dash is paneled in. I can't make out where the bleep is coming from. One (accessory) unit I saw had separate connections for each sensor..

Reply to
DerbyBorn

On my previous car (Ford Cmax) when the parking sensors stopped working I could detect which sensor had died by touching them with my finger tip

ignition on, Stick it in reverse (I had to stall the car - anything else and it disabled the parking sensors!) and then go round them lightly touching them one at a time. The working ones "ticked" - you could just about feel the pulsing. The dead one was obvious.

No idea if that'll work on yours, but worth a try?

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

dmc@puffin. (D.M.Chapman) wrote in news:jtfemt$nr3$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Thanks - I will try that tomorrow. I had wiped my fingers over them - for no particular reason but didn't feel anything - but I wasn't expecting to.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I wonder if yours were ultrasonic? Mine are described as optical which I suppose means IR, but I cant see anything via my digital camera.

Reply to
Graham.

The box is usually at the back of the car to keep down the length of the sensor wires. The bleeper may be anywhere.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, they were.

Apart from the reversing camera type, I've driven plenty of cars with them, all been ultrasonic...

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

I was going to say, been through any floods lately! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Open circuit if its ultrasonic. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Mine occasionally do odd things like beeping for no reason in reverse. Whenever it happens I put my hand behind the sensors and make sure all the wires are tucked up out the way. Always seems to do the trick. I's not regular enough to warrant a full blown trace&fix. VW Transporter 09 plate.

Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

I found the control box today in the space behind the rear light. Power is getting to it. No obvious damp. No sound or tingle from sensors.

Got hand behind bumper and felt wires - all seem ok.

Box is made by Whetron and has Honda Part No.

Suspect I will have to live without the system.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Yes. Some BMW parts are a reasonable price - other plain ridiculous. Luckily, much of the electrical system isn't made by them, so some searching can find OEM at more sensible cost.

The boot locking motor on mine failed recently. Taking it apart said that a price of a tenner would be fair. BMW price 80 quid. Got one for 25.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it's bleeping when you select reverse, it likely has power. ;-)

Have you checked for a replacement sensor on Ebay? (if they are all the same) Done a Google to see if you can find repair instructions?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No idea, but a chap I know gets a good business from replacing them.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Unless optical refers to the visual display that I get in addition to the usual beeps, and not the sensor technology. It's a Skoda.

Graham.