Installing a hose for a gas cooker

They've just delivered the new cooker, but it came without a gas hose. I've got the one from the old cooker - I don't need any special tape to wind round the threads or anything like that do I? I presume it's just a case of screwing it onto the cooker.

Thanks,

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:32:16 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) strung together this:

Erm, yes. Call in a pro on this one, it's only £30- £40 and you get it fitted properly.

Reply to
Lurch

You would usually use the "gas" or "yellow" PTFE tape for this. It is similar to the normal water one, only much thicker. If you were going to do this yourself you would also need to be able to do a gas soundness test (i.e. leak detection spray, and a pressure drop test with a manometer). There are also a bunch of regulations to check and ensure there is adequate ventilation into the room because a cooker is an open flued appliance. You can find all the info you need in this group and it's FAQs, but obviously if in doubt then seek assistance.

Reply to
John Rumm

Most odd that there wasn't any on the connection to the old cooker. I wonder if someone forgot?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

It may just have been not so obvious/visibel. By the way, it might be a good idea just to buy a new hose/connector in case the old one has been around a bit. They tend to get a bit crackly in places when they are quite old-depends though. By the way ,if you are competent enough to do it yourself,and it is a cooker with a fold down lod in which the hose screws into the cutoff valve base,do remember to adequately support the cut off valve when tightening up,otherwise you are likely to knacker it and its connections...

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

The reason why they come without a hose is so that 'gas work' (within the meaning of the Statutory Instrument) will be done in the process of installing it.

Read the FAQ see that there is more to it than simply screwing the hose into the cooker.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Technically, they are classed as flueless appliances. Along with flueless humidifiers ^h room heaters. Boiling rings, bunsen burners.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I doubt it. It may have been a sparing amount of "Boss White" or equivalent or it may have been one of the other approved sealants which are harder to see.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I did wonder if that was the correct term, but could not immediately conjure up a better one... obvious when you think about it though ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm