Installing a Freestanding Gas Cooker

Hi Guys,

Anyone had a gas cooker installed recently? I want the old one disconnected and the new one connected up and commissioned. Current quotes are around £95

  • VAT which TBQH I think's excessive.

Cheers,

Leigh

Reply to
L Reid

disconnected

Last time I had one done (early this year) it was £15 to remove the old and cap-off; then 3 weeks later £45 to fit the new (including parts, VAT etc); a very nice clean tidy job. £95 for doing both at the same time is a rip!

Reply to
OldGit

I'll say! This is a diy ng ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

And with a quote of £95 for a simple enough job, I'd also be thinking about doing it myself.

Reply to
BigWallop

Even at London prices £95 is a bit steep. However if the deal includes taking away the old one and disposing of it (legally) then it's probably fair.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I appreciate that, however it is gas, and not sure if I could live with the consequences should anything happen. The connection itself doesn't worry me, it's the commissioning of the hob and oven that I believe is more than a 'now it's on, now it's off' test.

Phoned 'em up and moaned about the £95 + vat. Got 'em down to £65 + vat at the mo.

Leigh

Reply to
L Reid

A drop of £30 on the price sounds a lot better. And they said haggling wasn't worth the hassle. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

Oh well done!

I did that with my car insurance. They sent another quote, for £3 more than last year, instead of the first, which was double.

Then they sent another for about £50 more than last year's.

Guess which I paid - but it makes one wonder how they get the figures.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher