Mains Gas vs Gas Canister on cooker

hmm, can anyone advise... I recently moved to a village with no mains gas supply, though apparently it is coming. I need to rip the kitchen out and install a new one, including appliances, but dont know if I should wait until the gas mains is in (which could be 12 months or more away). My question is this, currently the cooker runs off a couple of gas canisters outside the property - are the fittings the same / gas the same as mains gas. i.e. could I put a new cooker in, run it off the canisters for now, but switch it over to mains gas when it is installed? Many thanks

Reply to
heathy

I believe you need different burner jets and some makes of cookers can be fitted with either. Buy the right one now and you may be able to convert it. Contact the potential gas supplier and see if they will offer a conversion service as an incentive to take their gas.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

my 6 burner stainless hob came with 2 sets of jets.

Reply to
.

Yes, that's right, bottled gas is hotter (technical term!) than mains gas and needs smaller jets. If you can get a hob with LPG (bottled gas) capability it will almost certainly run on mains gas as well but the other way around isn't always true. Usually the hob will come fitted with mains gas jets and the LPG jets are a simple changeover.

Reply to
usenet

I've bought several (cheapo) gas hobs and ovens in the last few years and I think all have come with two sets of jets.

David

Reply to
Lobster

hey, thanks everyone... sounds like I can go ahead and sort my kitchen then.

Reply to
heathy