plastic pipe joint failure

Hi all I am flooring my en-suite in my bungalow.I have been using HEP2 barrier plastic for all the plumbing and have used it under my suspended floor.Being a D-I-Y job I have used the correct metal inserts all HEP2 fittings and cut the pipe with the correct plastic pipe cutter.I have taken great care over ensuring the pipes are fully home in their fittings.The water has been on for a week now and no leaks. I am now ready to double ply and ceramic tile over.Just back from Plumb Centre where two plumbers were having a heated debate about plastic pipe o rings along the lines of "greatest thing since sliced bread" vs "I dont fit plastic pipe". I am not replacing the plastic with copper. Surely HEP2 is good stuff must admit its an absolute doddle to fit--if you push the pipe fully home in the coupling.

Reply to
THOMAS PATTON

Grunff

I have had two fittings fail after a period of time one was just a weep but the other caused quite a lot of damage. When i contacted the plumber he said he had stopped using hepworth and moved to speed fit. his main reason was that hepworth refuse to agree its thre fittings but speed fit will discuss damages. In my case its a ceiling to be repaired. I too thought i was buying the best, but looking back is it. Rob

Reply to
rob

Do a search on this group. Lots of views pro and against. One thread mentioned Hep2O nuts working loose. The hard professionals don't tend to like it. I have used it, although not 100%, and have only had one problem in 5 years. Would I put it in my own house? Going by the bad press, probably no, except in places I have no option. I found it interesting that many advise using normal brass compression joints instead of pushfit fittings on plastic pipe. Also, plastic pipe and fittings are not exactly cheap either.

Reply to
timegoesby

Hepworth give 30 or 50 year guarantee. Like most of these long guarantees they are worthless.

Reply to
timegoesby

Rob,

I forgot to ask. Was it on a hot pipe? The only problem I have had was on a hot pipe.

Reply to
timegoesby

yep it was both times. rob

Reply to
rob

Personally I use copper with soldered joints in my own house as it seems less prone to failure.

What worries me about plastic is that the joints are often under strain, especially when the pipework is bent and some of it also gets warm (and in the process gets softer).

With soldered pipework the joints are very effectively joined together...plastic is relying on friction only.

In addition, I question the longevity of the 'O' rings. Will they really last 50 years?

However, I wouldn't worry about it if it were already installed in my house.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix