I've just lost the will to live !

I've got some B&Q vouchers. I have a requirement for some TV cable, plugs, splitters etc. I thought I'd look at

to see what range they have. Great, I actually found a picture of the bits I want. But when I click on it, all I get are some bloody faceplates. Their web-site is rubbish. So I tried to call them. Now there is a long story, but I'll spare you that.

So, does anyone know what the Reading B&Q superstore has in the way of TV bits'n'pieces?

Reply to
Grumps

On 18 Mar 2005, Grumps wrote

Not sure about Reading, but the one I use here in Basingstoke has always seemed well-supplied with TV bits 'n' pieces. (I bought the stuff there when I had to re-cable for a new Freeview box.)

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Seemed reasonably well stocked when I was in there last week.

Reply to
Tony Hogarty

Grumps wrote: ( B & Q )

AOL!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

B&Q's website is so pathetic for online shopping, that they might as will save millions of pounts per year developing the site and let the customers come into the store. They only seem to list about 0.1% of their stock on the site.

Reply to
ABC

Ignore the website. It is worse than useless.

Loads, but Maplin is usually much cheaper. It's on the Oxford Road near Richer Sounds.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

This is my view now too. And to top it all, they've just sent me an annoying email advertisement.

Ah yes, I know them both well.

If I could get any sense out of B&Q's web site I'd do the price comparison. Maplin have a 100m reel for £25. A mate at a work said he bought a reel at B&Q for about £22. As I have got some vouchers sitting doing absolutely nothing, I'll try B&Q first. Thanks.

Reply to
Grumps

Yup couldn't agree more. And what;s with the silly delivery times and outrageous delivery prices. Can't believe B&Q's website is so poor.

Reply to
kmillar

In message , Grumps wrote

I don't believe that the cable that Maplin is selling for £25 is the satellite quality double screened cable that is now recommended for aerial down-leads or distribution, especially for terrestrial digital TV.

Cable with 100% screening, in copper, such as CT100 (or better) is recommended.

Reels of CAI recommended cable can be obtained for around £25 but unlikely from expensive outlets such as B&Q or Maplin.

Do a search on for CT100 CAI

Reply to
Alan

In message , Grumps wrote

See

Reply to
Alan

So, is this

same as this
?Or anywhere cheaper?

Reply to
Grumps

That's surely the point :

  1. You want something so you look online.
  2. Oh - B&Q have it.
  3. I'm not paying that much for delivery.
  4. I'll pop down to the local store
  5. While I'm there I'll buy XYZ as well
Reply to
Mike

You mean you've met IMM ?

Reply to
Mike

Cruel. But it made me laugh. I've not seen any posts from him recently. He must be on holiday.

Reply to
Grumps

He's now calling himself Doctor Evil for reasons that aren't entirely clear to me.

Reply to
Mike

Maplin's version (FT100) is listed at 40 quid a 100m reel.

do handy 50m reels quite cheaply if you don't need a full one.

Reply to
John Rumm

Effectively, yes.

How about:

(I take back what I said about 50m reels at CPC in my other response - I just looked and they are listed as "while stocks last", and are now out of stock. Their 100m reels are much the same price as the others).

Reply to
John Rumm

The Maplin cable doesn't appear to have a copper inner screen. The picture shows a silver inner which suggests it is inferior quality cable with the metal coated plastic screening.

The Farnell site shows the 'proper' cable but the price is way over the top. £25 for a 100m reel should be possible. A search of the Google news archives should bring up a source at a lower price.

Reply to
Alan

TLC do their version - PF100 (upgraded CT100) for 21 quid per hundred, or

30p a metre. Plus VAT, of course.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think hes been put away hasn't he? Or is he giving evidence in wacko jackos trial?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher