Here we go then ! Finally opening on Monday ....

If you don't mind my saying, lose the pdf and make the menu a web page

- people don't like waiting for a separate app to open.

TF

Reply to
Terry Fields

Apologies, I forgot to add my good wishes for your venture.

TF

Reply to
Terry Fields

It still makes sense to have an optimised web site and to have a presence on both twitter and facebook.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

You also want to catch the people who just type in 'burger, Wellingborough' and who have never even heard of the place before.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

You might point out to her FB's Ts&Cs, wherein for everything you post, you grant FB the non-exclusive unlimited royalty-free right to do what they like with it. So that pic of her off her face can be sold to others who can themselves then sell it on - to anyone!

Reply to
Tim Streater

We submitted it manually to Google, which is an easy enough process, and last time I checked, it came out right on top when you put in part of the name.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thanks for your good wishes, and your comment re the pdf, noted. I think that the reason it was done that way was so that people could easily download and save a copy or print it out.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thanks Bert

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Have a 'Save as PDF' link on the menu page?

As others have noted, the web has a world-wide reach, and this could be important.

Story from younger days: went into my local friendly motorcycle shop with my friend, to see the proprietor's son going doolally trying to get the last drop of oil out of a drum. This made us laugh. Quite properly, he said "That's our profit!" and of course he was quite right.

Moral: as others have said, consider all the factors in your web page. If only a tiny fraction of your customers come from far afield after finding your presence on the web, that'll add to 'your profit' too!

ATB for tonite.

TF

Reply to
Terry Fields

Spending a little time with Google Webmaster Tools (free) can help pump prime a site into Google.

Also, adding Google Analytics (also free) will get a good breakdown of how the site is used.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Good thinking - do both!

Default to HTML with a "download/print menu" option that links the PDF.

Reply to
Tim Watts

have both 'click here for printer friendly version'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Arfa Daily" wrote: [snip]

Bearing what others have said, the site works reasonably well on an iPhone, except for the "Find Us" button which uses some horrible Microsoft Bing/RAC rubbish and is a frame within a frame. It's a bit of a shame because everything else looks good/works well. The only criticism of the look and feel on the iPhone is that the picture and the buttons are too small. The screen is mostly black with a small website in the middle.

Looking at the photo, you should be proud of yourself. It's a decent job better looking than the work of many so-called professionals.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Thanks for your valid input on the site viewed on an iPhone. I'll make sure this is noted. As to the "Find Us", this was done in a bit of a hurry, and seemed to do the job reasonably well on the laptop that it was being done on. However, the website is not 'done and dusted' yet, so any suggestions for a better royalty-free way of doing this that anyone might be able to suggest, will of course be listened to, and appreciated.

Thanks for the comments on the counter. I built it for less than half what we were quoted, and I am quite pleased with the way it went together, and now looks. You can't really see from the front, but behind, it is split-level, with a full width second level about 30 cms below the narrow 'lean-yer-arms-on-whilst-waiting' level that you can see from the front. I managed to build most of it at home as a sort of 'jigsaw puzzle', and then took it up there piece by piece, and assembled it. The maths of calculating how to get the curved tops out of standard widths of worktops, took me back a lot of years to my old geometry and trig lessons at school. It was like one of those exam questions that we used to get ... " A shopfitter needs to construct a counter comprising a curved section with a 2.4 m radius, and spanning 90 degrees. Calculate (showing all workings) the minimum sizes of counter top required ....... " and so on ! All good fun :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

You begin to realise what those questions were actually all about.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I mentioned a google map:

Basically, sign into Google Maps (ie actually sign in with a gmail/googlemail account)

Search on your postcode, then go to "Create New Map".

Give it a name, make it public and click the blue pin and drag that around until it's right.

Then hit "Link" (top right) and you get a bit of code to paste into your website.

I did one for you but it might be a bit off:

View LJ's Burger and Shakes in a larger map

That will be the same as clicking this link:

didn't say it yet, but good luck (to Arfa) - looks like a good location given the other eateries there and the road links.

;->

Reply to
Tim Watts

The RAC route planner doesn't work without the space in the postcode. It should be shown as NN8 4UF.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

>Unfortunately, not much use to those of us without a facebook account. >

Sadly it doesn't work for those of us with a facebook account either. It is possible to share albums with non-users, I've done it myself.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

just think how much profit you would make if everybody who hasn't got a FaceAche account brought their business to you ...

Agree with most other points that have been made.

I couldn't find the opening times anywhere, other than on the pdf.

Could annoy potential punters who decide to drop in for lunch ...

Must remember to drop in some time - it doesn't look to be too much of a diversion from our M1/M6, A14, M11 cross country return route from anywhere up that way. Funnily enough, we did it last week, on our way back from Brum, but that was the first time in ages, so I doubt the opportunity will present itself again any time soon ...

Anyway, good luck to you and the business ...

One final query: you've extolled the quality of your burgers on here long and hard - but what about the chips?

Please tell me they're freshly fried from real potatoes and not some of this revolting pre-processed muck that is so prevalent these days ...

We're off to Belgium tomorrow, so we do know what proper chips are like ...!

Reply to
Terry Casey

Oh yes, now this is a very good point. What's your cooking process for them? A Dutch former colleague always said that the problem with fish/chip shop chips is the oil is only at 160, whereas it should be at

180. Nice crisp ones please.
Reply to
Tim Streater