Here we go then ! Finally opening on Monday ....

My counter is finished. The plumbing is finished. The unvented water heater installed with its expansion loop as discussed last week, and that all works fine. The Plumbco macerator (discussed here a few weeks ago) is a good quality unit at half the price of the equivalent Saniflo, and works absolutely hunky dory at shifting the grey water from the prep sink over the door and round the back room, to the bog. Electrics all sorted, once we threw the original guy off the job, and got a 'proper' sparks on the case. Floor done. Extraction installed. Burgers sourced and tested. Chip fryers wired and working per the way we figured it on here, after a couple of false starts with the way the labels on the backs implied they should be wired. Much local buzz, so we're hopeful of a successful launch Monday night.
Can I just express my thanks to all on here who have sent their good wishes for the success of the place, and for all the invaluable and freely given help and advice on all the aspects that I have asked for help on. Good to know that I'm not the last of the helpful people in this world ... :-)
Finally, for those who wanted to see some piccies, the website is not really finished yet. However, my daughter has a Facebook entry for it where you can see photos. I don't really understand all this Facebook stuff, but she assures me that you will be able to see it all if you go here :
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home #!/pages/LJS-Burger-and-Shakes/152767711462499
There is some fairly good photos of the counter I built. I think it looks quite impressive, but then, I would, wouldn't I ? :-))
The website is www.ljsburgerandshakes.co.uk
If anyone's up this way of an evening, pop in and try a burger and shake. Tell 'em you're a friend of Arfa's on the 'net. Daughter will probably charge you double for admitting that, though ....
Arfa

If I pass I will have "The Bacon Blue".
--
Adam

Best of luck with it, maybe Revd will pop in a help a little.

Maybe I'm going blind? It might be an idea to say what town it's in on the website? I could only see a postcode. NN Nottingham? Northampton? Not Nown?
--
Bill

writes

Well yes, point taken. But really it's a 'local' venture, and everyone round here knows where the basic little map and road name is. Also, the RAC route planner on the website will lead you to it being Wellingborough Northants, if you put your own postcode in ...
Arfa
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 01:27:53 +0100, "Arfa Daily"

The RAC route planner doesn't work without the space in the postcode. It should be shown as NN8 4UF.

FWIW we have used Lonely Planet,Tripadvisor etc to find some excellent burgers and chips overseas - not so much in tourist places but en route between them. So I'd have thought it'd be worth you encouraging your fans give you reviews on Tripadvisor and the like. As Terry Fields said, it all adds to your profit.
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0hotmailcom
On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 19:33:57 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

All the very best...
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Is it the doughnut shop for the local police force?
The customer facing side looks very dated and down market. It doesn't create a good first impression.
--
Alan
news2009 admac myzen co uk
On 26/06/2011 20:44, Alan wrote:

Not sure I agree - I think they're doing for a 'retro' feel, in which case it's not a bad job.
Don't agree with the current preoccupation with unnecessary glitz on websites (which only slows the pages down) - people going there are looking for a burger, not an art gallery.
Adrian
Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Good luck with it, are you in the left hand unit(s) that were boarded up when the google car drove by?

Yes, so long as it's got *a* website, it could probably do with having a better local map than the generic RAC one, and something to point out the quality of ingredients etc, I'm sure someone's got a few improvements in hand ...
Arfa Daily

Right hand unit - the one under the 'peak'. As far as I know, it was never 'boarded up' as such. All of the units have electric roller shutters, though. Originally, it was a single 3k sq ft unit that then had 1k sq ft divided off for another business. The landlord then divided off a further 1k sq ft for us, leaving now, one remaining unit of 1k sq ft, at the far left end.
As for the website, as I said, it's by no means done and dusted yet. I'm sure it will change a lot, before it is properly 'declared' :-)
Arfa
On 27/06/11 01:39, Arfa Daily wrote:

The one thing I would change on the website is too add more text. At present, looking at the HTML source it is all script and images. Without text Google wont index it, and many people these days use Google as a substitute for domain name lookup, so if people cant find you by typing your business name (or some half remembered version of it) into Google your are lost.
--
djc

djc wrote:

I suspect the success of failure of a burger joint is more likely to be determined by the quality of the nosh and the location, than by its findability on a search engine
On 27/06/2011 08:46, Andy Burns wrote:

It still makes sense to have an optimised web site and to have a presence on both twitter and facebook.
Colin Bignell
On 27/06/2011 08:30, djc wrote:

You also want to catch the people who just type in 'burger, Wellingborough' and who have never even heard of the place before.
Colin Bignell

Spending a little time with Google Webmaster Tools (free) can help pump prime a site into Google.
Also, adding Google Analytics (also free) will get a good breakdown of how the site is used.
--
Tim Watts

We submitted it manually to Google, which is an easy enough process, and last time I checked, it came out right on top when you put in part of the name.
Arfa
Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Good point - I agree about the "retro" - looks nice...
But re website, it *is* worth noting that more and more people are looking at this stuff on mobile devices with 320xmumble screens and modem-speed internet connections...
--
Tim Watts

wrote

It's a valid point, and I will take it up with the person doing it.
Arfa