Hammerite radiator paint

Had a bit of a nightmare with this stuff the last few days. Basically I rubbed down a rad, primed it. Then put one light coat of hammerite smooth rad enamel. Lef it for the recommended 16 hours dry time.

Came to re-coat it and started applying paint, not to much not to little and it ran like a 3 year olds nose.

I'm no novice decorator but this is my first rad. From the sounds it sounds like I am using too much paint for it to run buuuut it doesn't spread with any less paint.

...No idea why I think may be rub it down and the rad spray stuff ? very thin coat after thin coat. At this rate it would have been cheaper to buy a new rad and easier.

huff... :)

Reply to
Pete

I had a nightmare with radiator paint years ago, so just used normal satin 'gloss' recently, which seems fine.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Hey Chris,

I've not heard of satin gloss before whats the deal with that ?

Radiator is awful from my first experience and bloody expensive! £11 for the I think 500ml tin

It dries soo quickly and run like no mans business, you have to literally put 4 odd really light coat with drying times of 16 hours for it to come out decent. I noticed they sell it in aerosol which is £11 also but it dries 15 minutes a time before you can re-coat which isn't too bad.

I'm after a satin flat look for the radiator so wondering if the finish you recommended would give me that as is gloss but also satin ?

Last time I touch enamel paint it so tricky to work with.

Reply to
Pete

As it gone wrong at this point so letting it dry and then should I jut flat it with some wet and dry and then top coat with the stuff you recommended ?

2 coats should be fine right ?

Sorry about the million questions never touched a rad before.

Thats said from a google read the satin gloss is as tough as gloss without the tacky look but the same durable style. Wish new about it a week ago before I glossed the skirting lol but never mind. I should've done a bit more research but its been a while since I decorated just usually matt paint on walls, and gloss everything else. Although I prefer satin finishes but her in doors prefers gloss, I've learned doing as I'm told equals a peaceful life :)

Reply to
Pete

I think you are using the wrong paint.. the best stuff I have found for rads is dulux satinwood. It goes on easy and resists heat. Being a microporous paint it doesn't flake either. I paint them about every five or six years.

Reply to
dennis

The radiator I can see from here looks pretty OK. Last painted several years ago and has hardly changed since.

Paint? Oh yes. Emulsion. Same as walls. Small roller.

Reply to
polygonum

Seconded. It flows out well, leaving no brush marks, IME.

I don't think so - it's for indoor use only.

Reply to
Andy Wade

I've used the hammerite spray radiator paint and never had a problem. and I'm crap at decorating...

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

Damn I should have checked for futher replies before going to b&q. I bought crown satinwood pure brilliant white (non drip). The b&q paint bod said its a little thicker as its non drip but identical to the dulux stuff.

...hmm contemplating returning it for the dulux as it seems you guys have had a result with it. I don;t fancy rubbing the damn thing down again.

Reply to
Pete