Good PIRs?

The Lidl PIRs that I had aren't very good. One lasted about 3 years, another about 2 and another was duff out of the box. As I'd bought 3, fitted 2, I got another one to have some spares - unfortunately they were all past 3 years old when failed/tried, so no luck there.

I want to fit some new lights outside (using IP65 stainless that take GU10s and can be aimed well down and won't infest other property) and need some PIRs that'll last a bit longer than Lidl's. Looked at SF and TS but they seem very basic and limited in settings - come on when too light, poor range.

Plenty on Amazon and Ebay, but difficult to know wht would be a good make. Possibly one of the other favoured suppliers here would have something.

Thanks.

Reply to
PeterC

I've used Luminite stuff, and I'm quite happy with it.

WeeBob

Thanks. Interesting but expensive. I don't need a system as the PIR can just go in the cable near the light.

Reply to
PeterC

I find it hard to believe that pirs are actually faling. My thinking is that its some other component which is the problem. After all these sensors must be churned out like sausages these days and if a significant number fail, then somebody is not going to buy them from that source. Capicitors perhaps? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've had one of these up for a couple of years:

I can't say I've ever had a PIR fail on a PIR/lamp combination. One thing you might consider is getting a cheap PIR lamp and removing the light fitting. Then just run a cable from the PIR part to your SS lamp fitting.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Triacs are the main failure point, use one with a relay. Of course it's not the full story...

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

um, ouch! I need 2 of them, so over £80! Out of stock - phew!

Now that I like :-)

Reply to
PeterC

Good point. I don't know how a triac would deal with a low load (about 50mA) with a PF of about 0.5.

Reply to
PeterC