Security advice - pet immune PIRs?

After getting burglars this morning I think it is time to review our security system. Fortunately, they didnt get away with anything as the alarm went off after they opened the front door (presumably they were getting an escape route as they entered through a kitchen window). Now because we have a cat, we tend to leave off the zone that was the entry point - there is a PIR in this zone which the cat has set off before. Also in this zone is a door contact on the back door and a vibration sensor on the window they entered through - I expect they wouldnt have got in had this zone been enabled!

You tend to get complacent about security when nothing has heppened for a long time but this has made us take a bit of notice. So I was thinking about rewiring to put the pir on its own zone (we only have 4 zones so a bit of juggling would be needed) which we can leave off if necessary while still protecting the doors & windows. However, I was just looking at cpc and they have some 'animal resistant' PIRs which wont be triggered by an animal up to

35kg in weight. Has anyone used these devices before and are they really resistant to my cat wandering round (while still picking up a person!)? Here is a link to them...

dave.

Reply to
Dave

Do you know the make, model or supplier please?

Jc.

Reply to
Josey

Some give you a choice of lenses - the idea being to avoid ground level and therefore pets. Of course, cats can jump up on things. But if yours are this type you might be able to buy the lenses only and experiment. A pal who had several cats avoided PIRs altogether and relied on shock sensors. But had loads of false alarms.

IMHO, if you can be bothered with the work, sensors on all the external doors and windows are pretty reliable, unless you are 'attacked' by a pro burglar.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Difficult to read as it is in tiny writing moulded into the plastic but it looks like it says 'Rockonet'? No idea of supplier or model as they were installed by my electrician.

Reply to
Tony Hogarty

The ones we have fitted apear to work on the infra red 'mass' rather than poisition. I've lost the leaflet that came with them (naturally) but they have an upper weight limit of something like 30kg and anything above this will trigger the alarm. They appear to be fairly reliable so far as we haven't had any false alarms from the cats jumping onto window sills or worktops so they don't appear to be overly sensitive to position.

Reply to
Tony Hogarty

Contact your nearest Gardiner Security, and ask them for their range of pet immune detectors. There are so many to choose from now, that each job is becoming more difficult to spec' for. They've been in use for a good many years now, and they have got better and better as time has gone on, so each maker has their own style, shape and size to suit any decoration.

Yes ! They do work.

Reply to
BigWallop

We have them and are excellent. The only false alarm was when the cat climbed up the loft ladder (down temporarily) and I think must have got too close to the sensor mounted on the ceiling.

Reply to
Jonathan Ward

A recommeded make and model would be nice if you know it.

Jc

Reply to
Josey

The new Pet Immune PIR's don't miss any of the floor area David, and can actually have a look down lens on the bottom. They work by ignoring the heat signature of small mamals, that is why they are rated to the weight of the animal. The rating gives you the immunity level to work by and if you have a cat heavier than 35kg then it is obese and should be put on a diet.

We had one customer who asked for pet immune detectors so she could let her cats, and I mean loads of them, roam around the back kitchen. Then a few weeks later she complained because the neighbours dog she was looking after set the alarm off. Well you should've seen the size of this rottwheiler (spelling) it was bigger than the two engineers put together. When we tried to explain that the detector was set to the weight of the animal she didn't beleive us and thought it was the detector that recognised if it was dog or cat running around on the floor.

Still laugh about it on an almost daily basis.

Reply to
BigWallop

Reply to
roger

(pet wise) with both my large cat and my parents border terrier with no

Sorry, try

ARWadsworth