Stand alone PIRs

I wonder if someone could kindly direct to the earlier thread on this?

Following a supply outage I have had two PIR controlled floodlights fail permanently on. The initial failure tripped our domestic RCD (which is unusual) and took out one lamp. Supply switching the following night took out the second! GRR..

150 Watt floods are not hugely expensive but access can be a pain.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Try

1501

In message , Tim Lamb wrote

Are you sure that they have failed? Many of these lights have a permanently on mode of operation.

The permanently on mode is usually selected by turning the power from off to on - then on to off - then off to on within 30 seconds.

To revert to PIR mode turn power off for 60/120 seconds before turning them back on. What may fool you is the light will immediately come on for the time-out period before going off and being controlled by the PIR.

The supply outage may not have been clean and may have resulted in an off-on-off-on power cycle to the lights.

Reply to
Alan

I think earlier PIR's worked this way but some newer ones need to cycle through "on - off - on - off - on" which makes them a bit more tolerant of brief outages compared to the earlier "on - off - on" ones.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

In message ,

1501 writes

OK. About the same price as the complete light fitting and the same range claimed.

Ta.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Alan writes

Umm..

I did try leaving them off for a few minutes and then back on. I may not have waited for the full normal *on* time and will recheck.

One of these units is in a poor location as the gas boiler flue is within extreme range. It seems able to ignore the boiler but triggers when a frond of bamboo (planted to the side) moves across the sensing field in strong winds. I already know how to cure the bamboo problem:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

OK

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Tim Lamb writes

OK. chaps Panic over! They do go off after the usual *on* time.

Thanks.

Now if only I could get them to stay on by judicious flipping of switches:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

They should do, but I can't either. Mine reckons to switch off then on within a few secs, but it just times off.

Reply to
brass monkey

Just put a switch across the two live terminals on the PIR relay.

Reply to
dennis

In message , Tim Lamb wrote

Now that they are working and 'on' try a a single off then on cycle which is to be completed within a few seconds.

On my lights the PIR can be overridden and switched permanently on during daylight. On other models the dusk to dawn override may also kick in.

Reply to
Alan

Depending on the model you might need to do that twice in quick succession.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

My experience of the stand alone PIRs is that if you pay about £20 for one, then they work a good deal more reliably than most of the built in ones. The £10 versions you take pot luck with.

Reply to
John Rumm

You can wire an override. See the top switch on this diagram:

John Rumm

This is the way all the PIRs that I have bought are supposed to work. Howvwer in my experience they NEVER work that way. When I want them to stay on, they won't, and when I don't want them to stay on, they do. I would like to buy a PIR without this "feature" but I can't find any. I also DON'T want them to turn the light on when the switch is first turned on. They are security lights. The reason should be obvious but I suppose I'll have to explain it.

Reply to
Matty F

you would need a relay for the lights.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Well since you mention it, yes my computers and telephones are unreliable. I had a graveyard of them but gave them away for recycling or for stage sets (the phones). My Sky box and its remote are very unreliable and I'm thinking of chucking Sky. Obviously I have done all the things that are recommended.

I've had expensive PIs that have all failed. Some cheap PIRs are still working, so I keep buying that brand. They cost about GPB 3 so that's not a problem. Did I say that the cheap ones usually work for years?

Reply to
Matty F