Kitchen design - dishwasher next to stand-alone range?

I'm getting my kitchen totally remodelled soon, and one detail to be worked out is how to get the sink (I want a double sink) centered under the current window opening. One thing that would work would be to place the dishwasher next to the range. Kitchen designer says it's not done. I'll get back to him to iron out that last details before anything's ordered to bang the rest of these details in place and I'll pursue it again then, but what do folks here say?

Is there a reason to be at least cautious about placing a dishwasher next to the stove. It will be an 18" apartment-sized dishwasher, if that matters.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Your kitchen your choice. Screw the designer.

All you need is a dishwasher blank to cover up DW on the stove side. It will be nosier this way cause there is less cabinet for the noise to be absorbed by. This would not be my first choice. Doable none the less.

Where are you getting your 18 inch DW? manufacture, model, price? Please.

Reply to
SQLit

Sure.

But what I'm trying to find out is - what could be his motivation for keeping the DW away from the range. Is there a heating issue or some other kind of issue that I should be taking into account? So far, the only thing that has been brought up is some kind of cabinet that doesn't give as much noise buffering as other kinds.... But that is the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Sears. Maybe not sure of the size..(I'm posting from somewhere else at the moment).

Banty

Reply to
Banty

It would go on the other side of the sink from where it is now in the drawing plan. It would go between the sink and the stove.

THere are two of us in the family, and it's a galley kitchen. If one person is doing something while the other is cooking, it would be opening the fridge. And I don't leave stuff in the dishwasher to be pulled out - it's a dishwasher, not a dish cabinet. Although I do remember how it was living with housemates - there are a LOT of people who use it that way. Not us :)

So, as long as a counterspace can go on top of it, unless there is some physical concern with having the two appliances next to each other, I'm fine with it. But I'm asking here what such concerns there may be...

Banty

Reply to
Banty

It depends on how far away from the sink the dishwasher is. Typically it will share the same supply/waste lines as the sink, but if they're separated, it can be a pain to run them.

From a personal point of view, I'd rather keep them apart anyhow, as we are typically loading/unloading the dishwasher while the other person is cooking, and the two activities would most certainly interfere with each other.

- Rich

Reply to
user

..

That's how it's installed in my house. I've noticed no noise problem and I've had both styles of DW, there (one with plastic tub and one with Stainless tub.) You'll need, as was mentioned, a cabinet end panel with 1

1/2 to 3 inch spacer to support the countertop. Watch that the contractor installs the end panel so it is solid and doesn't move when done (properly affixed to the floor, countertop and back wall), The only place to buy an 18 inch dishwasher and get it in a reasonable time would be Sears. They cost somewhere between $400 and $500. Tom
Reply to
Tom