Hard to install DIshwasher

I am moving into a house in about a month but I am buying a dishwasher now. It will be replacing a unit currently installed there that is probably not more than 10 years old. To install this is going to cost me about $100 from the place I'm buying it from and I want to know if it would be a big deal to install this thing myself? I am not "super" handy but I am capable of handling basic connections but not very good at plumbing that requires more than screwing things on (i.e. NOT welding, cutting, etc) or serious wiring. If this will be a headache for me I will just pay the $, otherwise I would get a slightly more expensive model if I didn't have to worry about the install cost.

Thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

--Don--

If you're interested, I'm looking at the KitchenAid KUDI01IL or the Whirlpool Gold GU1200XTLQ. The KitchenAide costs a bit more but I've heard it's a better washer--although the Whirlpool has free install.

Reply to
Don H.

Kitchen Aid / Whirlpool if it costs less than $500 plan on buying 2 of them so you can replace the new one shortly. we call those types of DW's (throw away apliances).

buy a lasting DW Miele, Asko, Bosch they seem to last forever!

BTW it is very easy for a DIY'er to install a DW.

Reply to
3GCPO

I just replaced an old diswasher last March.... it's quite simple, particularly if you ensure the new dishwasher has the same dimensions as the old....

Shut off breaker to washer, turn off water to washer before starting....

diconnect the drain (mine was under the kitchen sink), then look for a couple of screws that stabilize the diswasher in place... I found mine at the top of the dishwasher, screwed into the counter top from underneath... You may be able to pull the old diswasher out from underneath the counter now... if not, there will be an access panel at the bottom of the dishwasher.... remove and disconnect the plumbing and electrical connection...

The new dishwasher will come with instructions, just follow the manufacturer's instructions... ensure the dishwasher is level, mine had leveling legs....

One thing I found invaluable was a crowsfoot attachment for my socket wrench... it was the only way I could tighten the compression nut to the water supply.... make sure to use teflon tape on all your plumbing connections....

Bob

Reply to
RedHeadAllDay

Second that. You don't have to be "super handy" you just have to be patient and take it a step at a time. If you are replacing a properly installed unit, everything is in place waiting for you. Installing one where none had been would be a real job.. One thing to be careful of is not damaging your floor when you pull out the old and slide in the new. We were looking at a recent Consumers Report on dishwashers for our daughter. See the May issue. The Kitchenaid you mentioned was a best buy , along with a Kenmore and a Maytag. When we bought ours, my wife liked the way dishes are loaded in a Maytag so we chose that over another Kitchenaid like we had in another house. If you read CR you will notice an interesting thing about prices. Often, paying more gets you less. In the report, a Bosch that costs $600 did better than a Bosch costing $900 or a Viking costing $1375. As usual, there is more to it than price. The report goes into other factors you may want to consider. Some people don't agree with CR recommendations. I don't on some things, but they can be objective in comparing dishwashers.

That crowsfoot wrench Bob has mentioned is available in a crescent wrench style at a auto parts store if you can't find one elsewhere. They may call it a hydraulic line wrench or in-line wrench. Same thing.

St> I just replaced an old diswasher last March.... it's quite simple,

Reply to
Stoney

Thanks for all your thoughts, gang. I ended up getting a pretty good deal from Lowes to match a Best Buy free install and delivery on the Whirlpool dishwasher. I also managed to get them to give me a 10% discount on everything since I bought it all in bulk--freezer, dishwasher, refrigerator, dryer, microwave, and oven. Tough to talk them down, but worth it!

Thanks!

--Don--

Reply to
Don H.

Hi,

The link may help ( should be all one line )

The KA d/w is made by WLP :)

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff