Good battery drill

Preferably reasonably lightweight. It is for my daughter, I am looking for suggestions, apart from waiting until Lidl come up with one. all suggestions welcomed.

Reply to
Broadback

Erme - there was one in Lidl when I went in on Saturday, as it happens. No need to wait then.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I bought an Aldi one for a quick job away from home. Light duty, and a one off job, so I didn't want to spend cash on a duplicating something I had back home.

The Aldi cost 55 Euro, the Bosch I had to buy to replace it cost 150 Euro. I should have just gone ahead and bought the Bosch.

The Aldi device was a pain to use anyway, prior to the speed control burning out, the chuck just would not remain in place.

The thing had very light use, so it wasn't wear & tear or any kind of abuse that was the problem.

Now I just go branded, the last power tools I bought were Makita. They cost more but it's comforting to know the things will last a while.

Even for none professional use, the time and hassle involve trying to source replacement tools at short notice is something I can do without.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

I'm giving a Bosch PSR14.4Li some serious hassle at the moment - and it's really taking it well. Very, very impressed with it.

It had a bit of a charging sulk - but Bosch were superb in their response, sent a courier to collect it, tested it, replaced the battery, and couriered it back in short order.

Looks like it's been superceded with the 14.4Li-2, but a quick google suggests about £80 is about right.

Or...

"Just launched" seller.

Reply to
Adrian

Looks like the difference is a 2-speed gearbox. I don't much miss that on mine, because it's variable-speed from the trigger anyway.

Reply to
Adrian

I'll never forget I had some hassle with a stupid pratt on security at a certain large company.

I didn't have a pass for my works Bosch drill

After an hour of total stupidity from the cretin, I left my Bosch on site. I was amazed at the effort needed to destroy the thing. I wasn't just going to bin a working drill, so the scumbag could grab it for personal use, so I made sure it was not useable. It took major effort, the thing was built like a tank.

It was not my finest hour, with hindsight I should have pandered to the idiots ego, but it did leave me with a tremendous impression of the build quality of Bosch tools.

I went Makita because they did a right angled power drill, I was impressed so I bought their multi tool. Again good solid stuff, feels right and works o/k.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Drill... (or screwdriver) lightweight.

I have two of these:

Fine for drilling small holes in wood and plaster. The gyro drive isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's fantastic (especially for constricted spaces).

Bob

Reply to
WeeBob

Something like:

Very light and portable, but still punches quite hard

Reply to
John Rumm

10.8V seem to be at least as good as 12V were only a few years ago. I've a Bosch pro drill-driver and it's very good. I'd suggest just a 10.8V Makita or blue Bosch combi would be ideal for light use. The impact driver is a bit OTT - I've used mine rarely, though it's been good at removing stuck/rusted in screws.
Reply to
PeterC

You probably bought a nicad battery one, all the lithium batteries "taurus drills from aldi that I have seen have been excellent

Reply to
F Murtz

Since it adds little to the cost to get the pair, it seems sensible to do it. You can work faster if you are not swapping bits back and fourth into the drill.

Reply to
John Rumm

I *used* to think that about impact drivers, but now I am completely converted. You do need to buy the better quality bits, though. (I actually have the 14.4 volt NiCad Makita which is quite cheap as NiCads are going out of fashion).

Reply to
newshound

Just proves you should have got a Lidl one. They all come with a 3 year warranty, so a risk free purchase. A better warranty than you'll often get on much more expensive tool.

But despite having loads of Lidl power tools, I've never needed that warranty. Although most have only had moderate DIY use. The sort they're designed for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would like to petition Parliament that we ask that Christmas day no longer be a religious observance and to rename it Good Battery Drill Day instead.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Why don't you do so? It's very easy, just follow the instructions in the following link:

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

Even with a drill-driver, I tend to check the screws/finally tweak them by 'hand'. I'm soon going to be fastening down some 9mm OSB - I don't want an ID ramming screws through that! Also, the screws are 80mmx4mm st. st., so pilot hole and go gently - even 6mm st. st. is a bit delicate.

I can see the use of an ID for decking or heavy timbers, but the 12V Mak or

10.8V Bosch is capable of screwing through floorboards if clumsily used.
Reply to
PeterC

Wanting > Doing, but thanks for the link.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer