Satisfying lawnmower repair

My daughter could really do with a patrol lawnmower as her electric one is woeful. As it happened, I discovered that my neighbour had a "broken" 16" lawnmower sitting in his garage (that "he thought" was a two stroke). Consequently I offered to buy it off him if I could fix it.

It has a B&S 450 series engine and quick google confirmed my suspicion that it wasn't a two stroke.

It turned over alright on the recoil starter but not a hint of ignition so I had a look at the air filter that was absolutely saturated in oil. Oil spatters were also on the deck by the exhaust. The dipstick confirmed that it was well over-filled.

After cleaning the oily spark plug and with the air filter off I could get it to start easily but not keep running unless I pumped the priming bulb continuously. Clearly it wasn't drawing fresh fuel from the tank so it was off with the carburettor, a quick clean, drained the engine oil and refilled with the right amount and lastly drained the fuel tank which had reddish petrol in it, presumably some sort of two stroke mix.

After reassembly it started and ran on the first pull, emitting clouds of smoke for the first five minutes as excess oil residues were presumably burnt out of the exhaust & silencer.

Best of all, my neighbour refuses to take any money for it. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Congratulations. Nice one!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Remember that this engine has an oiled foam air cleaner. I have one similar.

Reply to
Davey

I rather think his problems have been caused by an overenthusiastic father-in-law who fancies himself as a handyman. His new mower is currently languishing at a local repair shop with oil in the carb after he "serviced" it.

I say languishing as it's run by a totally disorganised nutter who has a reputation for taking months to fix anything. My neighbour only heard about his reputation after he had dropped it off there. I've told him to get it back and I'll have a look at it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

There's "oiled" and then there's "totally saturated and dripping oil". This was definitely the latter. Oil was puddling inside the carb venturi.

Reply to
Tim+

Yeah, that'll do it. I also found one of those.

Reply to
Davey

Congratulations!

Reply to