tecumseh - lawnmower carb problem?

Hi,

I have a lawnmower with an 8hp Tecumseh engine. Haven't started it in about a month or so. Today it started nicely - drove it about 5 minutes and it just shut down.

When I tried to re-start I think fuel got into the muffler because I got white smoke - more like steam that smelled of gas.....whoa!

Opened oil filter and found gas in there. Pulled the spark plug and of course it was soaked. Got it dried out, started again and same thing.

Guess I have carb problems - anybody seen this before?

Thanks

Reply to
ZRexRider

Likely a stuck float is alowing raw gas to dump in the motor, Drain the oil twice after starting it a minute to get the gas out, dont run it if the oil level is up, that would mean its full of gas, it is possible to ruin a motor running it with to much gas in the oil. The carb should be probably rebuilt , if you have no gas shut off store the gas tank empty for now or it could flood again.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks - carb is on the workbench and when my local store opens I will be heading in to get the rebuild kit. Oil will be draining while I'm shopping.

Always nice to have something to do on the weekend.

Reply to
ZRexRider

Took float off - shook it - it has gas in it. Will be replacing that too. For anybody else reading this thread go here and get a free Tecumseh repair manual on PDF.

ZRexRider