Carb on Tecumseh engine leaking gas

I purchased a rebuild kit for this carb. I changed the float, the needle and the needle seat (rubber gasket). I put it back together and it still leaks gas out of the carb, a fast drip. Any thoughts?

Reply to
SlipKid

Where's the leak from, exactly? Tom

Reply to
tom

It leaks out of the hole where the choak flapper is located.

Reply to
SlipKid

Where's the leak from, exactly? Tom

Reply to
tom

Where's the leak from, exactly? Tom

Reply to
tom

Where's the leak from, exactly? Tom

Reply to
tom

Err, you sure that float is actually doing anything?? Its got to be completely free. Also some bowles have indentations on the bottom. If yours has that make sure the side that would go the deepest would be on the side where the float extends (drops down) the furthest.

Tom

Reply to
BocesLib

The float does seam to be free, the deep side of the bowl with the dimple is in the correct possition. I can feel the float move up and down before I remount the carb.

Reply to
SlipKid

I removed the bowl whjile still mounted to the engine, the fload mover fine. I opened up the gas valve and lifted the float gentley up and and the gas stoped flowing. I did this a few times and the gas stoped flowing every time. I mounted the bowl back on the carb, opened the gas valve and it still leaks out the top on the carb. The float must not moving after the bowl is attached. The bowl is mounted correctly, the deep side away from the hinged part on the float.

Reply to
SlipKid

It's possible that the tang on the float bowl assembly may have gotten bent, allowing tthe float to raise too high in the bowl.

Reply to
Rastus

Another possibility that I've run into with these before is that the float may have a pinhole somewhere. Take it out and shake it gently near your ear. You might hear or feel gasoline sloshing inside, which means you should get a new float (some people might suggest soldering the hole, but I'm not one of them).

Reply to
louie

just noticed that you've already changed the float, disregard my previous post (though it IS possible to have a bad, new float, it's unlikely). I think there's a specific adjustment you need to make per Tecumseh instructions by putting a #4 drill bit (0.210") between the carb body and the free end of the float, make sure the needle bottoms out with the float at this height by "tweaking" the tab on the float just a little up or down as needed.

Reply to
louie

And ... the float height (position where it closes the valve) must be set correctly, or ... the carb floods. This is not rocket-science- just get the specs, meet them, and run it.

barry

Go on a LOW CARB diet and you wont have so much GAS....

Sorry, I could not resist !!! :)

Reply to
anoldfart2

Where is it leaking from; the throat or around the bowl? Did your rebuild kit include gaskets for the top of the bowl and the bottom retaining nut? If it has one, did you check the tickler drain on the bowl? Did you check the float to be sure it would float (no holes)? Adjust the float level?

Reply to
Andy Asberry

Reply to
SlipKid

I can use the snowblower, thats the main thing. I just shut off the gas valve after I use it. I cannot solve the gas overflow problem. I changed the float, needle and the needle seat. There is not much to it, but it has me baffled. Oh Well. Thanks all for the help

Reply to
SlipKid

I guess you might want to check the new float for any leaks, it's a long shot, but it would cause this type of problem. I know you've already changed it, but it's still a possibility that you've had the misfortune of buying a defective or damaged float.

Reply to
louie

According to louie :

Or, could the float be hanging up on the cup when it's installed?

Has the cup got a dent or ding? Could a section of cup seal ring be coming adrift and obstructing the float? Does the cup have a drain valve? Could that be interfering?

Reply to
Chris Lewis