Gawd! bleedin DG doors

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@v13g2000pro.googlegroups.com...

Right, so it is the lock that's the problem, not the door.

MBQ

Well yeah...but isnt it fair to say that the lock is an integral part of the door pertaining to DG doors?

Reply to
George

In article , Tim S writes

I've looked at similar ideas in the past and came to the conclusion that even the best were weak compared with the cheapest of BS3621 approved mortice deadlocks.

When you look at the build and dismantle one of those you can see the features that have been added over the years to thwart the various attacks that burglars come up with and none of the electrically operated locks I have seen have them. The only exception I could think of would be to fit a BS mortice and leave a key on the inside with a motor drive to rotate it ;-).

Reply to
fred

snipped-for-privacy@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

DG doors don't have to have locks that allow you to lock yourself out. None of my eight DG doors allow you to lock yourself out.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

A typical DG front door handle arrangement is Pad on the outside and Lever inside.

The Pad handle is fixed, it will not turn.

Shut the door from outside and the only way back in is by use of the key.

Reply to
Ziggur

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@v13g2000pro.googlegroups.com...

I've never come across one that didn't lock you out. I usually pull the inside handle up so the catches protrude & the door can't slam if I have to pop out to the van for something.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@v13g2000pro.googlegroups.com...

There are two ways you can have a stanard DG door lock Dave... When you take the lever plate of it has two holes for the lever rod one is for standard opening ie it wont lock when you go out and will be able to get in if the door slas shut,the other hole is for securing the door from the outside should you forget to lock it with the key. At least that is what this door is capable of doing.

If you have a DG door just slip the handle plate off and you will see the two square holes,thing is you have to change the handle to accept which way you want the lock to operate.

Reply to
George