Gawd! bleedin DG doors

just locked meself out and didnt have the cash of £57 for a locksmith,no windows open to get through but managed to get in...will have to buy a new letterbox now though. :-( good job key was in the lock inside.

Reply to
George

It's more a feature of the type of lock, rather than the door. What is a DG door, anyway?

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It's more a feature of the type of lock, rather than the door. What is a DG door, anyway?

Double Glazed

Reply to
George

Good job you weren't a burglar.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Assuming it was a euro cyinder you might not have been able to open the door even if you had a key, often a key left in the lock on the inside stops a key inserted from the outside from unlocking the lock.

Reply to
Scabbydug

Scabbydug coughed up some electrons that declared:

I've just come across this with the new doors the landlord's just had fitted. Bloody annoying. Something to check when I buy new door locks for the bungalow...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Same as an ordinary mortice lock, then?

David

Reply to
Lobster

True :-) since found out that the key doesn't have to be in the door ie if the door isn't locked a tap of the barrel from the inside releases that notch that keeps the door from opening on the outside. So in effect had I got a piece of wood and done the above I'd of been in but I struggled to try and get the key out with a piece of wire coat hanger. duh!

Reply to
George

Nope, totally different mechanically.

Reply to
Scabbydug

I know, I meant in terms of:

David

Reply to
Lobster

Except that standard mortice locks don't slam lock behind you, which I think was the problem.

For Tim, if you do want euro then you can get double cylinders that allow unlocking from the outside with the key inserted inside but they are the exception rather than the norm. I can't for the life of me remember the term used to describe such cylinders but a locksmith will know what you're on about and should do supply only, they're an easy fit.

I prefer a conventional mortice lock and upper cylinder lock on wooden doors so don't have this kind of problem.

Reply to
fred

Lobster coughed up some electrons that declared:

Well... Except that a mortice lock has a good mechanical reason to be that way, and if you're truely stuck, sometimes, just sometimes, you can use a pokey think and wiggle the opposing key out.

You can't with the euro barrels and as they are actually two locks in one, there isn't a fundamental mechanical reason for them to be that way - it's a "feature" (in the Microsoft sense).

The overriding thing is, that you obviously can't lock yourself out with a mortice lock as you'd have to have the lock clear inside in order to lock it from the outside, then you have the key about your person. Your front door with a euro barrel slams shut behind you and even if you have a key, you're stuffed.

Having reasoned the above, I feel my statement of "bloody stupid" has moved from emotive to logical reasoning.

Luckily, I am a pessimist, so I carry a back door key at all times too. Handy on Tuesday, when our friend locked herself out thanks to Mr Euro... Still had to leave work, come home, then go back.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Cylinder with thumbturn is the general term, in premises such as hotels & guest houses the fire officer usually insists on them. On external doors in private properties the insurance companies are a bit iffy about them, if someone breaks in through a window for instance, they can open the door from the inside and let their mates in and escape easily with the loot.

Reply to
Scabbydug

Scabbydug coughed up some electrons that declared:

Thanks both of you - I know what to ask for now :)

One day, when I get fancy, I'd love to put an electronic proximity lock on, so I can just walk in when laden with shopping.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Oh - and to consider the "thumbturn" aspect:

Had one of these on my last flat - it was backed up with a mortice lock.

I leave the key in lock at night to aid escape in a fire.

I also reckon, that if the burglimen get in your house, it's better to give them a direct means of escape. That way, should you surprise them in the act, you've got a better chance they'll take flight out the door, rather than finding it deadlocked, being trapped between you and it then coshing you on the way past (cornered rat syndrome).

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Simple way to do that. Trot along to the local vet and ask to be microchipped (same as done to Fido the pet). Shouldn't cost or hurt (much).

Then ask about one of those RFID controlled cat flaps, which vets sell at a discount rather than those offered online by JW ents. Gut one of them and tie the electronics to an electrically operated lock and put the sensor at a height somewhere close to the scruff of ye neck.

Sorted. Woof!

Reply to
Adrian C

Adrian C coughed up some electrons that declared:

I *could* wait for the State to do it - sure it's on their roundtuit list somewhere....

And dispense me a pint when I walk into the kitchen. Perhaps the Professor of Cybernetics at Reading (if he's still there) has done it already...

Reply to
Tim S

In article , Tim S writes

A thumbturn wasn't what I was referring to but it sounds like you're not to fussed about having the door openable from the inside without a key (which is what a thumbturn cylinder does). The original problem (aside from the slam lockout) was that leaving a key on the inside of a double cylinder (keyslot on inside and outside) usually means that you can't unlock the door from the outside. The name of a double cylinder where this isn't a problem still escapes me but it something like safety cylinder (but isn't).

Nice idea but they just don't make them strong enough.

Reply to
fred

fred coughed up some electrons that declared:

I wasn't thinking necessarily of a Yale-type electric strike plate: I agree they are horribly weak.

When I worked at Imperial College, we had an electronic coded proximity lock on the computer room door, which was secured with a combination of maglock and electric shoot bolt.

The maglocks aren't invincible (big bloke can shoulder them) and need permanent power, but the shoot bolt was pretty solid, being buried in the door.

The only thing with that is it didn't have a physical override from inside, though it there might be options.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

snipped-for-privacy@v13g2000pro.googlegroups.com...

Right, so it is the lock that's the problem, not the door.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q