fun with a stanley knife

So I was at the local refuse tip emptying large plastic bags full of leaves and chunks of cherry tree I'd had to cut down. The place was -very- busy and I was aware of the queues of cars full of junk waiting to get in. The skip was parked rather high up but there was a metal barrier by it which I had to climb on in order to be able to reach over the skip. As plastic bags aren't allowed in that skip I had a stanley knife with me in order to slit the bags open. Of course this never works cleanly and my "always cut away from you" policy soon got dumped. Result! A 3" slice down my left wrist! I just stared at it a while.... I waited a second or two - I could see a nice clean red line bleeding away...Expecting a sudden spurt of blood then lights out I glanced at a woman who was emptying her rubbish alongside me. Holding my arm up I said (for no reason I can recall) "this looks good doesn't it". To which she replied, "yes, I must get some of them plastic bags myself"! Hah hah - I did laugh. She then went on to ask me if she could have some of the larger bits of cherry wood - which I was delighted to give her :-) Fortunately the cut, while deep, didn't touch any artery/vein. Phew.

The moral of this story is:-

-Never break your own safety policies

-Never carry a sharp knife

-Never cut a cherry tree (it was a very nice tree in it's time, but it was in fact, dead)

-Never visit a council tip, they are dangerous places

-If you're doing something dangerous, never stand next to a woman

- (Add you're own moral telling me what an idiot I am)

Well, that it. A true story. Take care out there and have safe and Happy Christmas.

Reply to
mike

"mike" wrote | .. Result! A 3" slice down my left wrist! I just stared at it a | while.... I waited a second or two - I could see a nice clean red | line bleeding away...

Superglue sticks skin and can be used to hold the edges of a wound together in a nemergency.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Thought I'd read somewhere that it was used regularly in hospitals esp for geriatric care. However, I do have some bizzarre and lucid dreams sometimes!

Reply to
RichardS

True - geriatric skin can tear very easily so stitches can be a problem. Although the proper medically-approved glue isn't quite superglue it's very similar.

Rob Morley

Probably not a good idea, unless it is an actual emergency, and you're unable to get to proper medical treatment, and even possibly not.

Proper medical CA is highly refined, with all of the biologically nasty stuff distilled out.

Non medical CA isn't, and only needs to be non-toxic enough so that it doen't poison users when it gets on the skin. It might have practically anything in it, and cause nasty reactions.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

If it's mucky maggots will clean it up nicely.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Though not as nasty as bleeding to death surely :-)

Reply to
Mike

On 14 Dec 2004, mike wrote

That's a pretty good one, right there. ;)

Close calls like that do tend to focus the mind, don't they...

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:27:56 GMT, Harvey Van Sickle strung together this:

For about half an hour!

Reply to
Lurch

My close call with a Stanley knife still makes me nervous when I use one now. That close call nearly had the top 1/2" of my index finger off and a good go at my third finger, requiring 14 stiches in all. I still don't have any sense of touch in the end of my index finger (strangely hot/cold is OK), this is from 5 years ago...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:49:10 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" strung together this:

I went 3/4 of the way through my thumb with a Stanley knife about 15 years ago trying to hack some ply into a novel shape, I didn't learn.

Reply to
Lurch

Plasplugs snap off knives are good, the blade can be retracted so only

1/8" is showing which makes it /safer/ in these situations.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I think you should all keep shtum in case the HSE police read this, and end up banning Stanley knives along with ladders...

David

Reply to
Lobster

That is exactly what it was designed for, by the US during the Vietnam war, to stick soldiers back together quickly in the field.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Agreed, but it isn't as versatile for heavy jobs.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

My old metal bodied stanley can be retracted so non of the blade is showing, the smallest amout is around 1mm. Didn't stop me attempting DIY amputation. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I thought they all were ...

No.

I did the same with a carving knife before dinner tonight. Now have a bloody keyboard and make lots of typos w3ith my plastered fingwer ....

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yup, I had a gash in my head superglue about 12 years ago.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

There is also a method of using body hair in conjunction with superglue to hold a wound closed rather than simply using it to stick the edges together. The latter can't be good for the healing as you want them it to heal together not be separated by something.

One advantage of being remote with a 24/7 Minor Injuries unit at the local cottage hospital. I was back home, after being stiched up, not much more than an hour after the encounter with the stanley knife. Now if they took the MI unit away (nasty rumours a foot) it would be an hours drive to the next nearest MI or A&E department...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Now don't get blaming your keyboard for your mistakes. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice