plastic coin bags

Where can you get those plastic bags that the banks use for the various coins (1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p & 50p) ? Will the banks give non-commercial customers a supply of them ?

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

Yep. Just go in and ask nicely.

If you've been collecting coppers up, they want 'em bagged to cash in anyway.

Reply to
Adrian

Our bank ( Bank of Scotland, Currie) has them just lying out (well in a display thing but...) and you just help yourself.

Reply to
soup

Yep, but if you ask for lots they might dread you bringing them back all at once, at peak time ...

Nah, find a branch with a coin counter (like the coinstar ones in supermarkets but without the 10% deduction).

Reply to
Andy Burns

En el artículo , Andy Burns escribió:

8.9%.

I dump coppers and 5ps in Coinstar, my local HSBC branch are happy to take the rest if I bag 'em up correctly (and they'll give out the bags on request).

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Branch finder

Adrian C

In message , Jim Hawkins writes

Ask your local friendly sub postmaster - and support his office :-)

I have just retired as a sub postmaster, and kept most of the village supplied with coin bags, which I obtained, without charge, from Post Office Ltd.

Just don't take 'em back to the PO, full of pennies, and expect him to smile whilst counting them.

Reply to
News

My bank (Barclays) just gives me a handful if I ask nicely. The local branches weigh the bagged-up coins to check they contain the correct amount. Even so, I don't take too many in at once.

The last time I did this, I vaguely remember they wanted the money paid into my account rather than exchanged for a fistful of fivers. Possibly under some nosy government guidelines to make it easy to track what I spend on Internet cryptography, drugs, arms, drink and loose women...not necessarily in that order...

Reply to
Dennis Davis

Useful to know but might not be that useful. Depends on where you live.

There's no bank with a coin counter within 5 miles of where I live. I can go 15 miles and find a branch of HSBC with a coin counter...I don't bank with HSBC...

Reply to
Dennis Davis

It's a better combination than internet women and loose cryptography

More likely, if they process it as a customer deposit it counts as a transaction under their daily workload targets; if they just swap the money it takes them time which their manager will wonder what they've spent doing.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

My local Tesco self-scan tills require coins to be fed in individually, but IIRC Morrisons (or Asda?) tills have a small hopper you can pour the money into.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

As my bank (First Direct) has no branches AFAIK, not very useful. But interesting.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Give, certainly not, but mine will sell you some. I'm sure you can get them from other sources though. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes. Just ask them for some and they will give you a handful.

They take a dim view of you turning up with a large bag of mixed change.

Reply to
Martin Brown

It has hundreds. They say "HSBC" on the front.

Reply to
Adrian

are like ursury aren't they. Why do people give money away like that and why is such ursury permitted?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Weatherlawyer put finger to keyboard:

I give away money like that, gladly. I don't mind paying for the service because I no longer have to count up and bag up hundreds of 1p, 2p, 5p and

10p coins.

Anything larger gets used as normal, or bagged up and taken to the bank.

I did boggle at the lady in front of me who tipped in £160 worth of mixed coins, with £1 coins being the most common (she showed me the receipt).

Reply to
Scion

Usury is charging excessive interest on a loan like the delightful Wonga and its ilk. This is just normal ripoff Britain overcharging.

If you have to do it regularly then make or buy a simple coin sorter. (by size and thickness) it orders them 5p, 1p, £1, 10p, 20p, 2p, 50p, £2

I can't see why anyone would ever do this. It takes only a few minutes to sort even large amounts of loose change. I did exactly this job for our village hall yesterday with the takings from our Halloween Quiz.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Indolence, with a slight side-order of "haven't bothered reading the small print", mainly.

Reply to
Adrian

I know that HSBC and First Direct are under the same ownership, but I'm not sure that First Direct customers' accounts are serviced at HSBC branches.

I will try bunging some coins in a machine next time I'm near a suitable branch, but with more optimism than confidence.

Reply to
Mike Barnes