Paper lawn waste bags - ank tricks?!?!?

Long frustrated me ;^) Love the paper lawn waste bags you can buy in the hardware store. They contain the perfect amount for my yard and easy to haul. I just have a devil of a time getting them started when empty ;^) Pulling off my mower bag and trying to dump it in the bag when empty is a bit frustrating. Once it gets grass in it, its easier. With all the peopel on this NG Im wondering if someone has come up with any tricks for this minor, but frustrating step ;^)

Todd

Reply to
Todd W. Roat

The trick is to stop bagging lawn clippings. Why not just mulch the grass clippings while you mow the lawn and leave them there to compost? ;^)

Reply to
eclectic

the grass clippings while you mow the lawn and leave them there to compost?>>

Once upon a time I lived in the suburbs and many people would put out bags of clippings for trash pick up. I would harvest these bags from the curb side and the contents made a good between row mulch for my garden. Fortunately I never got caught stealing trash bags.

Dave

DavesVideo

Often considered that. My opportunities to cut the grass average evey

1.5 weeks. When I get to it, the grass is failry high. My newer Toro mulching mower still leaves tons of grass clipping exposed on the surface which die and leave an obvious blanekt of dead grass on the lawn. Myabe I need a better mulching mower.
Reply to
Todd W. Roat

snipped-for-privacy@uc.edu (Todd W. Roat) wrote in news:745e0233.0404030715.27a4f260 @posting.google.com:

Build a box or find a paper box that will hold the bottom of the bag in place while you fill it. Alternatively, you could stick something that is easily withdrawn inside the bag during your initial filling.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

I get my yard waste bags for free. I drive down the road and pick up full ones to add to my compost. When I dump them I give them to my non pesticide crazed neighbors to refill. Time to put a mulching blade on your mower and put the clippings back to the soil where they belong. This will improve the soil and reduce the nitrogen input required by over 50%

Reply to
Beecrofter

OK, OK, I get the point ;^) I would mulch but my grass is always seemingly too long. I get to gut every 8 days or so and the backyard grows like wildfire. I have a newer midrange Toro 6.5 hp atomic mulcher. But it still leaves a ton of visible cut grass blanketing the lawn. Just doesnt look good.

Reply to
Todd W. Roat

I have a dilemma when it comes to dealing with cut grass. While I never dispose of the stuff, it is not easy to decide whether to bag the clippings for addition to the compost (I get a lot of fall leaves for the compost so the grass is really needed) or to mulch it back into the lawn (where it is also needed). My solution has been to compost the stuff when it is growing quickly in the cool, rainy weather of spring and fall and to mulch in the summer when I figure it might just do double duty and help moisture retention in the soil. Also, in the summer, it's not growing as fast and I'm cutting it longer so there really isn't a problem with leaving a mess on the lawn like there might be in the spring or fall.

But I never, ever put that stuff out in the garbage. It's worth its weight in gold.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Voege

Next time, cut the grass and go in for a nice glass of water or listen to your favorite record. After a couple of hours in the sun, your unnattractive clippings might just shrivel up and sift down to the soil. if not, a rake may help. I think you're just too quick to decree things unattractive here. Let time and weather do your work.

K For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit

consumer info about tree care, visit

Babberney

Without chastising about not mulching your clippings, I found this has worked for me. Find an old TV tray with the metal legs. Take the tray off. Now set the legs in your yard, put the bag in the middle and fold the lip of the bag over the tops of the legs. You now have a bag stand.

Reply to
Dave