fitting butted up uPVC frames

Whats the usual method of fixing where 2 uPVC frames are to be butted up - like a door and window next to each other ? Leave a small gap between, foam inside and sealant ? A cover strip over the join ? A special joining piece ? (if this, not possible as its an old door and new window probably from different manufacturers) Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I did exactly this myself about five years ago (old door, new adjacent window), and am racking my brains as to how I did it. Am pretty sure that I got some form of joining piece, but can't remember for sure. It would have been a component supplied by the window fabricator, which would have been an adequate fit for the door.

Certainly the overall thickness of door and window were the same, and it was finished off using 3"-wide strips of uPVC from Wickes, glued on both sides to cover the gap, which looked fine and would have imparted a fair amount of strength to the junction.

David

Reply to
Lobster

put a few screws through each frame into the other, then cover the joint with upvc architrave / jointing strip (the arc only has one bull-nose, but the jointing strip has two)

Also, don't forget that any window frame adjoining a door frame must have toughened glass - if the door blows shut in windy weather, the glass in the window could shatter if it's not toughened.

Reply to
Phil L