Firefox

Just recently, Firefox on both of my PCs has got slow and clunky. Even on Ebay. Any particular reasons for this?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you are running the latest version, have you got the page filtering enabled? That might slow it down a touch on a slow connection.

Reply to
Lee

No help, just an observation, all my machines have SSDs and if anything I thought Firefox had become a bit nipper with recent builds. But, having just tried it on two machines with mechanical hard drives (Win7 and Win10) I can see what you mean. Seems to take ages to load and then some sites seem really slow to render.

Firefox itself isn't thrashing the disks in either machine or using excessive amounts of memory, wonder what's going on?

Reply to
Lee

Works fine here.

loads just as quickly in FF as Opera.

Reply to
Richard

What is this? I can find no reference to 'page filtering' in the Help for FF ver. 39.0.3. Or do you mean something with a different name? Or only available on ver. 40. Just puzzled.

Reply to
Davey

Have you tried closing it completely (and making sure it is closed down by checking for processes in Task Manager) then restarting it.

FireFox used to leak memory all the time. Browser plugins for it leaked even more.

Just something to check.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

Specifically this bit:

When I disable "Block reported attack sites" and "Block reported web forgeries" in Options/Security, everything works normally. (Everything goes a lot faster on other sites to.)

Reply to
Lee

My connection is BT fibre. I'll have a look for page filtering, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Happens from first use after boot.

Does Ebay use any?

It seems to be a fairly recent thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah, ok. Thanks.

Reply to
Davey

I, not knowing too much about PC software, these days, came across this...

from...

..'Beginning with version 40, as long as you have Firefox configured as your default browser, it will grab those requests and reroute them to whichever search engine you have chosen in your Firefox options.'

I don't suppose this action alone will slow access any but..?

Firefox is my preferred browser, but lately, I'm am becoming a little concerned with their affiliations. I upgrade very rarely.

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL12

Recently I've tried using Pale Moon,

which is a derivative of Firefox but without a lot of the bloatware. It does seem better in many ways. It can read the Firefox files so you can copy over your bookmarks, passwords, etc., and can keep both of them in use concurrently, until you decide to ditch one or the other. I haven't quite decided yet...

Reply to
Clive Page

I was quite surprised how swiftly such a "choc-a-block full of content" web page could actually completely load (5 seconds or less in both browsers). For once a web site that appears to have been designed by a web designer *with* a feckin' clue, a complete rarity these days.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Can waste some serious time on thisiscolossal.

Reply to
Richard

En el artículo , Clive Page escribió:

I tried Pale Moon recently and was impressed with the speed, but ended up going back to Firefox. I can't remember why, unfortunately. Sorry.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson