Firefox oddity..

I usually have a number of tabs open for different sites in Firefox. The left most one is usually the one for a certain car forum I visit frequently. Firefox indicates on each tab, an icon and some text, to indicate the web site.

Today, that first tab had a the symbol for a speaker with a line through it, indicating the audio was turned off on the extreme right of the tab. None of the other tabs had the symbol. Closing the tab and reopening cleared the symbol. Did it have some meaning?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I do not know but did the site try to play sounds? Something reminds me that flash is now no longer supported so could it be you have flash and its being triggered but of course not running. This and other reasons is why my default browser is now waterfox instead. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

right click any tab and mute/unmute

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes.

It appears when a page wants the speakers. Left click toggles the symbol a nd the muting.

A page, or a tab, or whatever, opens muted, possibly depending on the Setti ngs. After all, if you were listening to 'Die Vorelle' and at the same tim e exploring various links, you would not want to be blasted with 'The Padst ow Lifeboat'. Do not test with such as Radio 3, since they may have select ed one of John Cage's works.

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

I don't really know, but FF have just issued yet another update (which I've not yet got around to implementing). Have you implemented it, automatically perhaps, and did the muted site appear after that update?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Spot on! I didn't know you could do that, thanks..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I think the ability mute tabs etc has been about for a while. A response to the number of irritating sites that insist on playing audio or video when the page opens.

Reply to
John Rumm

Looking forward to FF63 that will prevent media autoplaying when a page loads (like every local rag website seems to do nowadays, even if the video is unrelated to the story)

Seems it will still allow silent media to play, wish they'd go the whole hog.

Reply to
Andy Burns

yes. Its possible to disable audio on a per tab basis.

Handy if you are listening to the radio and the phone rings..

Sites that generate no audio won't have that symbol

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher