Electricity meter question.

I have a PDP8 core memory board, although you have to peer between a sandwich of boards to see what looks like the piece of fabric. It's probably still got someone's data or a fortan compiler or similar stored in it.

I tried to get an old GEC 4080 core memory board (which is much bigger) when I worked for GEC, but they got more and more valuable after manufacture ceased due to continuing demand for spares, and no one ever chucked one out (actually, any faulty ones got painstakingly repired).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

FAT filesystems can't be made safe in this way because they require multiple sector updates to be made simultenously, to remain self consistent. They have a common delayed action corruption mode where you can read all the data OK after an interrupted operation, but latent inconsistent spacemap update results in data corruption sometime later on when the filesystem is written to again. Also, because there are so many different implementations of FAT filesystem drivers which do things in different orders and may not use the clean shutdown bit, it's not easy to spot this without doing something like a full chkdisk operation, which appliance devices usually don't implement, nor have the time to do.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Can you explain? If they are built with one FAT, I can't see why that would be so, although there might be some free block loss.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I am expriencing this right now. The sun is blazing outside. I recently had solar panels fitted. A few days ago I had to have the meter changed from a nalogue to digital because the old one was moving backwards. My display is showing the word rEd as I speak. I am in th middle of doing some research a nd came across your question. One can only assume that it is to do with the solar panels. Also the light which normally flashes on the import meter is on solid red until I boil a kettle. This just indicates that you are not u sing any power from the import meter unless you use power hungry appliances such as a microwave or kettle. When it gets dark it flashes as normal and instead the generating light on my export meter stays solid which means th at no solar power is generating. This is normal. As for th rEd display I ne ed to do some searching. Will get back to you as soon as I find an answer x

Reply to
cyberpet%blueyonder.co.uk

"A constant red light on meter with word RED on display means that the electricity is flowing the wrong way, this would be used to ensure that it was not wired up the wrong way when installed prior to the popularity of Solar Photovoltaic panels. Now that solar panels are more popular this error will happen in any household on good production days and basically means you are exporting electricity."

Shame you had to have your mechanical meter changed....

:)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

This is perfectly normal and correct.

ReD = reverse energy detected and originally was a signal to a meter reader that the meter had been trying to run backwards (usually a fraud issue before microgeneration system became available)

The solid red light indicates no power being imported.

When you panels are generating more than you are using, the red light will be on. When you boil a kettle, the panels might not generate enough and so there will be some imported power to supplement the panels ability to power the kettle.

Once triggered, the ReD warning will alternate with the normal meter reading of imported power. This meter will not normally display the exported power. There should be a separate generation meter as part of your solar installation. Your set up will not be able to tell you how much you are exporting.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I have forgotten to switch off of geiyser.in evening i switched off.since then red light continuosly stagnated on meter. What is the reason

Reply to
srprlp502

Has the red light turned green?

Reply to
Andy Bennet

42
Reply to
Geo

From the English I wondered if the person was a little drunk when they wrote it! Red light stagnated? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I presume it's a digital (not smart) meter, which pulses an LED e.g.

1000 times per kWh consumed, if you stop consuming when the LED happens to be pulsed on, does it stay on? Then again how many houses ever get to zero consumption other than during power cuts?
Reply to
Andy Burns

The red light on an electronic electricity meter flashes when you're using power - one flash for a certain amount of power, often 1Wh (1/1000 of a kWh). The more power you're using the faster it flashes. If you're not using any power at all it stops flashing - and it can be on or off when it stops.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Humphrey

Mine does that quite frequently when the only things using power are the BT Homehub and my clock radio.

Reply to
Andrew