Electronic electricity meters

Earlier this year the local electricity company removed our electromechanical meter (spinning disk) and replaced it with an electronic one. Since then, I've kept a close eye on monthly consumption, and the readings appear to be consistent with the old meter.
The meter shows three readings: Normal consumption, Economy 7 consumption, and the total of these two readings. Alongside each reading is a rate indicator: this is "2" for Normal, "1" for Economy 7, and "E" for the total.
I took the readings again tonight. Again, the figures were consistent with expected consumption. However, this time, the "2" rate indicator was flashing. I don't remember seeing it flashing before. The other two indicators do not flash.
Anyone seen anything like this before?
--
Ian

I think you wil find that the flash is a visual aid like the spinning disc,it is proportional to current, i.e. put on a 3kW fire and it will flash faster.
Peter

Could it have been flashing as you happened to be looking at it when it was receiving the radio signal to change over?

I'm on a "flash" meter, and I see the responses I'd expect from that. viz: turn on the kettle, flash rate goes up. But I do find the frequency-to-power conversion is hard to do inside the head.
--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

On mine, there's a little note next to the flashing LED that states 800 pulses per Kwh, planning on building a real-time monitor device and piping the output to a serial port on a PC to acquire the data into an Excel spreadsheet. One day. When I have *nothing* else to do. Probably including picking my toenails.
--
Clint Sharp

Follow-up to several contributors: I am not talking about the red LED on the right-hand side of the meter that flashes from time to time, presumably indicating that the meter is functioning.
I am referring to the digit "2" displayed alongside the Normal consumption figure in the LCD window. This digit shows and then disappears. For example, at one moment the window displays "2 1234.56", then about a second later it displays " 1234.56".
I have now contacted the electricity company, and they are coming to take a look at it.
--
Ian