Electricity meter question.

You never worked with bubble memory did you?

Reply to
dennis

Not always, IME, but you may have been luckier. Luckily, the camera with a problem was one used by a member of a group, so they just swapped pictures.

Reply to
John Williamson

snipped-for-privacy@p13g2000yqh.googlegroups.com...

It was actively worked on where I used to work, but not personally, no.

I was thinking of more modern, mainstream, technologies, not dead ends.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@p13g2000yqh.googlegroups.com...

It had some interesting faults. I killed the development of bubble memory cards on SystemX by designing something far better to replace them. Cheaper, more reliable and five times as fast tends to kill the competition rather well. Its still in use now and its more than a decade (or two) old.

Reply to
dennis

So that's an average of 0.28 kWHr per square meter per day (an average of 11 Watts per square meter).

But how does that 0.28 kWhr/day square with: ...

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

It's the Magic of Renewable Energy, where peaks are exchanged with means, 'Could' is used instead of 'will' or 'does' and impossible technology is instantly available by the Magic Of Subsidies and Fairy Godmotherment Intention-Wands to make to all come right at the end, so everyone gets to go to the ball.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That would be the 300w float charger he has connected between the output of the inverter and the output from the panels? ;-)

Reply to
dennis

Presumably the PV wiring is sealed to prevent you connecting a battery charger across the array and plugging it into a wall socket.

Can I plug a floodlight into a wall socket and shine it on the PV panels and make money from nothing?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

0.28 kWh/sqm/day x 16.7sqm = 4.676kWh/day average

Grey days have been less than average so 3-4kWh/day is about right then.

Good day yesterday - generated 13.51kWh!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

There is no such thing as sealed.

I would make some reflectors out of some Mylar sheet (space blankets) and reflect more sun on them. Just make sure they don't cook.

I was thinking of having panels on the end wall above the car port and making the carport roof reflective. It could give another ~30 m2 of collecting area and help cool the house in summer.

Reply to
dennis

Ah yes silly me. Thanks.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Yup!

But its best to do as the skunk farmers do, and bypass the meter.

Because even at 45p a unit you won't make money from 10p electricity and a 20% efficient lamp and a 20% efficient PV panel.

Better to use a diesel genny running off heating oil at 70p a liter..at

25% efficiency that's 28p a unit roughly, costwise.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Build your own 32bit core store for an arduino

Andy Burns

antique core - 512m bytes from an Atlas machine!

Reply to
Bob Eager

If you fancy 'knitting' some more £25 for 45,000 ferrite rings

Andy Burns

Of course, that's 512 bytes - not sure where the 'm' came from!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bob Eager :

Is that millibytes?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Ha! I have 8kB from an IBM System 360.

It's not a whole lot of use, since it's framed and hanging in my hall.

Reply to
Huge

attribution

Nowt wrong with core memory - data retained when powered off. I used to load test programs into core stores and take them to site to run diagnostics on the Ferranti Argus 500 and 700 machines I cut my teeth on.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson