easy way to generate an ac signal

you need to jump start a car.

tery had enough charge, then turn both off and disconnect the jump leads.

Everything I have said makes sense, you have either not read ot or misunde= rstood it.=20

The problem occurred on disconnecting the jump leads, leaving the started c= ar with a 'flat' battery drawing more curent than the charging system was intended to provide, OR a= s in my case, a defective battery, meaning no working battery in the circuit.

The Honest John/AA's jump-starting Youtube video recommends a method that= avoids this step, see above. If you'd read my earlier posts you'd have kn= own that.

Reply to
Onetap

The excitation current is carried on the rotor via the slip rings. The generated current is taken from the yoke,

Reply to
harry

Reply to
harry

So do we still think a flat or open circuit battery draws excessive currents?..

Reply to
tony sayer

There are various sorts of brushless motor. But they all run on AC.

Reply to
harry

So you admit that the rotating part of a motor doesn't *have* to carry AC, then?

Reply to
John Williamson

Harry , Yes but is it AC or DC ?...

Reply to
tony sayer

In a moment he'll be claiming that the rest of the universe is rotating around the rotor so he's still right. :-)

But he still has not answered my post about ball-bearing motor being pure DC.

Reply to
polygonum

But not in the rotating part harry.

Clueless Cnut

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I am now. I had a notion you were in Oz, but that's the other Tony.

However, I was brought up with UK/French/German/Italian and US electrics, much to my horror.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Sigh. How many times do you have to be told that if a battery is 'totally' flat to the point were it allows an alternator voltage to go dangerously high, it won't take any charge at all in a few minutes. The reason it has gone high impedance is it's sulphated. The only way to attempt to reverse this is with a long slow high voltage charge. Over several days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Of course not. Where did I say it did? Virtually all alternators have the AC part in the stator. The rotor is just a (multi polar)(electro) magnet.

Virtually all "DC machines" are the other way about (ie the stator/ yoke is the magnet) so that the mechanical rectifier/inverter/ commutator can function. The AC is of course in the rotating bit.

Reply to
harry

Yes I have. It is not rotating. Read upon:-

harry

The excitation current in the rotor is DC. The AC is in the stator. This is for the simple practical reason that the excitation current is a tiny fraction of the generated current so the slip rings and brushes and rotor can be smaller. There is no theoretical reason why it should not be the other way about.

The only reason there is an excitation current at all (as opposed to a permanent magnet) is that by controlling it, we can control the voltage output from the alternator.

Very large traditional alternators have a excitation generator (DC machine) on the end of the alternator shaft. Some even have a pilot excitor on the end of that (for the main excitor) So by controlling a current of a few amps the output of the alternator which might be several Mw can be controlled.

harry

Yes you did.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

Harry when in a pit stop digging!...

You said above,

The rotor in a car alternator carry's or is excited rather with DC..

The stator has an alternating current induced in it which is rectified to DC...

Well you got that bit correct!..

You might be confused with what an alternator rotor produces due to its pole pieces being arranged as they are 'tho...

Read this...

tony sayer

You are the ignorant half-wit. The *motor* runs from DC.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Inverter drives for brushles DC motors do not generate sine waves either. Simple ones use PWM to approximate them. More complex ones use

3- or 5-level PWM to better approximate them.

Harry likes to take a evry simplistic view of the world.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The machine as a whole can be driven by DC, that's even easier for most people to remember.

Do you need it explaining to you?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

A switched reluctance motor is a DC motor.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q