Easy way to apply Deft??

I'm looking for an easy way to apply quite a few coats of deft to a living room furniture set I'm building. I've tried brushing and it's tough for me to see where I've already brushed - even with a bright light. I don't have the cash to invest in a spray rig (thought about renting one, but I believe the learning curve might be higher than what I want to deal with for this project) - though I do plan on buying one around summer some time (thought on this would be nice too). I've thought about, but haven't acted on, trying to apply deft with a common spray bottle - but I think I'd probably wind up putting down too much had getting an uneven finish on horizontal surfaces and runs/sags on vertical surfaces....I've also contemplated ragging the stuff on with a t-shirt - though I think this would be putting down very thin layers, effectively doubling the number of coats I'd need.

Thought anyone?

Thanks in advance, Al

Reply to
Al

I think you'd have a tough time trying to find a spray bottle which would stand up to the lacquer thinner in Deft as it melts many common plastics.

How about using Deft in a rattle can?

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

or use poly, but wipe it on instead of brushing. Deft is a slow drying lacquer; I don't know if it can be wiped like thinned poly (or "wiping poly") can.

dave

Al wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

I've seen the spray cans, but they look to be a fairly expensive alternative (granted, not as expensive as buying a spray setup). Guess I'll give the spray cans a go and see how many coats I can get out of one can...or how many cans it takes to get one coat. :)

Incidentally, the spray rig I'm going to wind up with is a binks HVLP conversion gun - gravity fed... I've heard that cleanup on these is the cat's meow and that if you set up a filling station that it takes no time at all to do a project...a bit pricey at abou $300(?) for the gun, but I think it'll be a worthwhile investment...

Reply to
Al

Ditto .. Hold it upside down, spray for a few seconds and put it back on the shelf, you're done with the cleanup. I can put three coats on a small table in the time it takes to clean up the HVLP sprayer.

Reply to
Swingman

Use a wipe on polyurethane, or spray the Deft. The wipe on poly will give you a good finish, but since the coats are thinner, you need more coats, therefore, more time. You can buy a wipe on varnish, but it is simple to mix mineral spirits 50/50 with poly to make your own. I know you can brush Deft, but it is hard to keep a wet edge and get an acceptable finish. Especially on larger objets. When I use Deft, I spray it.

Reply to
Preston Andreas

Thought of using a Pre-Val sprayer? Just like a spray can and does a decent job.

Jimlemon

Al,

I spray Deft Lacquer and also Sherwin Wiliams with a $16 spray gun from Harbor Freight. About 30 psi and thinned 50-50 or so.If yu have a compressor thats the way to go until you can afford an HVLP rig.

Reply to
Charlie Campney

Reply to
BRuce

Agreeing with most of the other replies (except the poly ones), and to answer the padding question directly, I have padded the Deft on turned bowls and such. It is easy to do with a small swatch of cotton tee shirt, but it will take forever to get any build. I'm not even sure you can get a build, because each application will cut the previous. I like it as a first wetting coat in some cases. But I cannot imagine it working for what you want to do. The spray cans are pretty good.

Snip ....I've also contemplated ragging the stuff on with a t-shirt -

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

Have you tried shining a light across the piece rather than from above?

Reply to
Jim Weisgram