easy way to generate an ac signal

The signal then needs to be processed, that bit I can handle.

bet a cheap brushless motor from somewhere - model aircraft type. That gives 3 phase AC

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Where on earth did you get that daft idea?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So, you're one of these lefty/greeny Guardian-reading schoolteachers who are brainwashing our children into believing all the global warming bollocks are you?

Windmills my arse.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Bill,

You are leaping to conclusions. The experiment, if done well, would show that windmills are not the answer.

Reply to
polygonum

Mine don't seem to.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Or a hub dynamo.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

No, I'm pretty pro nuclear and anti feed in tariff. I try and give them a propaganda free view, but that is not what I am supplied with.

Reply to
misterroy

shed that you can modify to get the AC out.

one to spin the other. Or it to the back of a PC and run it from the fan in that.

shed that you can modify to get the AC out.

one to spin the other. Or it to the back of a PC and run it from the fan in that.

shed that you can modify to get the AC out.

one to spin the other. Or it to the back of a PC and run it from the fan in that.

I have an old dynamo in the shed, knew it would come in useful, (looks like today is someday). I'll put it on the scope at work tomorrow. ta

Reply to
misterroy

Where do you think? From trying to jump start a car with a totally knackered battery. I've done it dozens of times before, this was the only time I've had a problem; new alternator required.

I looked into it and found a web page about alternators with external diodes for use in light aircraft. Apparently flicking off one of the isolators (battery I think) required in an aircraft would wreck the diodes in a conventional alternator.

Reply to
Onetap

Mine didn't either for the past 30 years. I THINK the essential difference was this battery was totally US and I didn't know it.

Reply to
Onetap

The signal then needs to be processed, that bit I can handle.

Have you still got the Nuffield kits we used all those years ago to make electric motors? Make one with more than the usual number of coils, and you should be away.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

A lot of modern car User Manuals warn against jump starting but not the reason(s) why it is not recomended.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

using a drill.

Brushless motor. Under a tenner from eBay. It's a 3 phase alternator, just = like you might use for a real wind turbine. Then 6 diodes give you a bridg= e rectifier and DC output.

Otherwise almost any sort of fixed coil and a whirling rare earth magnet.

You can even make your own wind turbine. A crude 3' diameter (flat plywood = or Correx plastic blades) makes a workable demo. Use the Tim Piggott design= (search the web for a US site building them with Volvo 240 front hubs). Y= ou can make a simplified version of this in a CDT class - use a bike hub or= similar, especially if you can get one with a disk brake.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

No, the experiment will show that windmills can work, but only if you have a drill of approximately the same size as the windmill.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Indeed. Windmills do work in one sense of "work".

Reply to
polygonum

Umm .. why should jump starting a car with a flat battery fry the alternator diodes?...

Reply to
tony sayer

I'd say the type I mentioned easier to mount on something and drive with an electric drill?

We are talking about a school teacher so need to keep things as simple as possible. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That was probably why the battery was flat...

With the engine running?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My BMW with boot mounted battery has contacts on the engine specifically for jump starting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

battery to inverter to bulb.

Just get a cheap brushless motor.

e.g.

magnets round a fixed three phase winding.

Like to be driven at many thousand RPM for decent voltage tho.

but an ac motor would be a neater solution and it would be possible to mount the blades. The turbine has to generate an AC signal.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher