easy way to generate an ac signal

In article , Onetap scribeth thus

Well over many years I've started a lot of differing makes of vehicles and have yet to have any alternator damage from a simple jump start.

I suspect the real plain old danger is getting the battery connected arse about face;!...

That sounds like a simple alternator failure they can and do fail like just any bit of equipment on a car....

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , harry scribeth thus

Exactly!...

Reply to
tony sayer

The signal then needs to be processed, that bit I can handle.

Record a sine wave from compuyer prog.. Burn to CD mp3 thingy or whatever. Use speaker output.

Reply to
Simon Cee

Is it french ?

Reply to
geoff

Does the school not have a pet hamster?

Reply to
geoff

I was SO tempted to say that

I must be getting soft

Reply to
geoff

Especially if the whole experiment goes up in a cloud of smoke

Reply to
geoff

In message , misterroy writes

I hope they also see your suitability to teach religious education

Reply to
geoff

Needle on a cork former and crossed pin bearings?

Reply to
geoff

Even if it does, trying to drive one with an electric drill sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Hence why they are wired like this in competition vehicles.

main heavy duty contacts open on isolation to kill the battery feed, simultaneously a pair of NO contacts close to shunt the alternator output via a resistor to earth and a pair of NC contacts opens to kill the ignition feed.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Just keep the duct tape handy.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

FFS.

That's why they don't use conventional alternators and why there was a web page about amending a conventional alternator to make it suitable for aircraft, with external regulators and whatever else.

Reply to
Onetap

Tch Tch. You are an ignorant git. So-called DC motors are fitted with a mechanical inverter. Called a commutator and carbon brushes.

I should perhaps explain to a dunce like you that a n inverter changes DC into AC so the thing can function.

Reply to
harry

Light aircraft electrical systems differ very little from cars. The main difference is that they have twin ignition systems using magnetos.

Reply to
harry

b page about amending

nal regulators and whatever else.

Everything about light aircraft is low tech. Most of the engines are

1930's technology and a lot of the electrical systems. It stems from the costs of getting anything new approved. Not enough are sold to make it economic.
Reply to
harry

Quite. But then jump starting didn't cause the alternator to fail - it would also have failed if the engine was started by any other method with this faulty battery still in circuit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Defective (or disconnected) battery + jump start = dead alternator. Which is what I have said repeatedly to a chorus of derision.

I didn't know that could happen and it cost me an alternator to learn.

You usually don't have a battery charger or a multi-meter to hand when you need to jump start a car.

It would probably be safest to run the engine until the flat (?) battery had enough charge, then turn both off and disconnect the jump leads.

Reply to
Onetap

A bump start wouldn't have worked. If you had tried to start the engine by mechanically spinning it somehow, that would also have wrecked the alternator. The regulator tries to maintain 14V or so and on seeing 0V sends the output sky-high.

Reply to
Onetap

on DC. No commutator, no inverter. Not a lot of practical use, but it works.

practical use, and is at least arguably a kind of linear motor. No commutator, no inverter. You put a DC pulse in, and get movement out....

Reply to
Alan Braggins