I need to replace an AC adapter

I need to replace an AC adapter that went out. Original is 12V 225mA. = I have several 12V 1000mA. Any problem using 1000mA rated unti with =

225mA machine?
Reply to
Guv Bob

=A0 I have several 12V 1000mA. =A0Any problem using 1000mA rated unti with= 225mA machine?

No. It just means it can deliver more power than that device needs.

Reply to
trader4

I'll repeat in this group. If it's unregulated, it will have higher output voltage. Sometimes a problem.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

have several 12V 1000mA. Any problem using 1000mA rated unti with 225mA machine?

Hi,

Bo problem for sure. It may last longer.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks, fellers! Saved me a trip and some pocket change!

Bob

225mA machine?
Reply to
Guv Bob

have several 12V 1000mA. Any problem using 1000mA rated unti with 225mA machine?

Possible, a lot of cheaply designed consumer devices depend on using the components used in the design. Their design might have depended on the voltage drop of a just marginal transformer.

Reply to
George

The numbers you mention, would those be input, or output? Since you call it "AC adapter", would the input be 110 VAC?

If those are output numbers, having more amps available will not hurt your device.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Is the original AC or DC out put? Same for the replacements. You did not mention the make/model of the device powered. While it's unlikely to make a difference that too may have an impact on the answer.

Last if DC the polity to the center pin can be + or - get it wrong and you've burned up the device.

Reply to
NotMe

have several 12V 1000mA. Any problem using 1000mA rated unti with 225mA machine? Absolutely no problem as long as it has the right plug. The 2000ma units are almost all REGULATED switchers, so do not have overvoltage problems like were sometimes experienced with using oversized transformer type adapters.

Reply to
clare

Or it just won't run - depending on the circuitry.

Reply to
clare

It's more important to check what kind of input voltage the machine expects, AC, DC rectified only or DC regulated. The new adapter should provide the same type and DC regulated supply can be plugged into DC rectified but not the other way around.

Are the new adapters 120VAC-12VAC or 120VAC-12VDC? Rectified or regulated DC? If it's anything other than regulated 120VAC-12VDC, then its output voltage is likely to be higher than 12V when underloaded. It's anyone's guess what it will be but I think it will be anywhere between 15V and 18V.

If it's 120VAC-12VDC regulated, it's going to run less efficient at only

1/4rd of max but that's a minuscule difference.

Anyhow, apart from AC-AC vs. AC-DC mismatch, none of this will probably be a big deal, especially is the device isn't looking for regulated 12VDC supply.

------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV

Reply to
DA

Inline fuse is a good idea. What's a fuze, though?

.

Just include a fuze of about 300-500ma, and enjoy the result.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

have several 12V 1000mA. Any problem using 1000mA rated unti with 225mA machine?

  1. It depends how good the regulation of the new one is: if the current draw is significantly less than the 1000mA rated capacity, the voltage may be significantly higher than 12v.
  2. Be sure to check that the polarity is the same as the original: most have the center contact as +ve, but the occasional one has the center contact as -ve.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

have several 12V 1000mA. Any problem using 1000mA rated unti with 225mA machine?

Just use a "modern" switching wall wart. You can tell by the "universal" voltage (120/204 50/60Hz).

Yep, but CPN is rather rare these days. I haven't seen one in years.

Reply to
krw

Guv Bob wrote:

You might have forgot to mention, there is rectified dc output without filtering, as this depends on the device to have it's own filter capacitors. I have seen this.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

How do you know if it's a radio device that doesn't like switching supplies ?

Where's Guv.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Right, a really good transformer can have 10% regulation at rated full current. A poor transformer can have over 30% drop in voltage from no load to rated full.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

The device will draw a max of 225mA, so it does not matter if the new charger can deliver 1000mA, in fact the second adaptor will last longer due to the lower current draw.

Reply to
PV

> Guv Bob wrote:

A universal voltage wall wart will take care of that, too.

Reply to
krw

Get real.

Reply to